The Start Of Something New

It's been weeks since that little incident at the bar and Mr. Black has barely talked to me. Instead of coming to me directly, he sends me lists every morning that instruct me to do rather simple things :

-Make him coffee and give it to his receptionist to give to him.
-Bring his lunch TO HIS SECRETARY so he can give to him
-file a few papers, send a few messages...like my god! If he hired me to work WITH him and discuss business, then why was he ignoring me and giving me irritatingly long and easy tasks?

Maybe it has something to do with that heated argument at the club I cringed as i just become one of those people who say "so at the club the other night I..."

I lay in my bed, my thoughts wondering what work will be like today. But before I ask, my brain swiftly answers without hesitation

The same

My alarm goes off and I gasp a little, realizing I forgot to turn it off. I stand up from my bed giving myself a little stretch. I softly pick up my sheets from off my unmade bed and start making it look like something straight out of a hotel, I physically can't go on with my day if my room isnt in its regular order.

I put my hands on my hips, looking down at my newest and latest creation in satisfaction. I let out a soft sigh, letting my 'happy girl' smile fade as I realize...he should have made me the maid

I would rather work in hell for a year then spend one more silent day in that big, gigantic office building.

____________

At the office, things go by as usual and my day turns boring. Despite how childish Mr. Black is being I continue to do everything directed on his list.

-make him coffee
-file his business report
-work on emails
The list goes on...

It comes time for me to pick up his lunch(about 12:30 ish) and I'm prepared to pick something up for myself too. His list instructs me to pick up a cold turkey club and a side Caesar salad with a black coffee from the café about two blocks from here.

"Great" I say silently complain to myself
Human interaction

I'm not very good at talking to people or being social. Maybe it was the fact that I was in high school when I was still 12 and never had time for friends. Or it could be the fact that no one really wanted to be my friend, being 13 and in my junior year of high school had its ups and downs...okay so it mostly had its downs. Every teacher, every student and every adult that I knew either passively treated me like a child or assertively treated me like a child. And I thought if I have a 4.0 GPA and the reading level of a college student then tell me why you still treat me like I need a babysitter 24/7. I take ap calculus for god sake. And I remember pouting and telling my guidance counselor how "unfair it was". Being like a child...I laugh a little thinking about those days where my mother pushed me to stay focused and not get distracted. Distracted with friends. distracted with a life.

I chuckle, letting my light red hair sway as my shoulders do. I can still hear her saying it now.

"You don't socialize Aubrey, you prioritize"
________

Walking into the place, I instantly feel a sense of home. The smell of sweet hazelnut coffee and sugary pastries fill the air. I take in everything, realizing how many people are actually in here. As some 5 year old kid makes eye contact with me, I look down instantly feeling ashamed. Ashamed to be here ashamed to be so worried because I know it's not a big deal. It's just normal human interaction on a normal day. Be normal. Before looking up at the cashier who is seemingly talking to me I take a deep breath. In and out, then I look up.

"Um...I'm sorry are you alright?" Says the male employee, looking at me questionably. After a short pause, I make eye contact with him and smile, trying to hide my blush. Trying to hide my emotions.

"Me? Well yes of course me I am the only one in line." I look down trying to keep my hands (and brain) occupied.

"Uh." I close my eyes and squeeze them tight for a moment, trying to remember what I'm even doing here.

"Is there anything I can get you sweetheart?" He asks, Looking at me with concern. I'm an idiot. I'm an idiot who looks like a 15 year old girl picking up an order for her mom.

Before I know it I feel sweat cover my face. Soon enough though I realize it's not sweat, it's tears.

Am I having an attack? No I can't be I haven't had one in a while...I was doing fine. I was doing great actually compared t-

I rush out of the door unexpectedly. I didn't want to think about anything, to worry about simple nonsense. Why does he make me do these type of jobs anyways? I'm a grown woman who was hired on the count of business, not... What ever this would be considered. I'm an independent female. I'm confident. And I'm only telling myself these things to feel better and because I've just finished "The feminine mystique" the first time round.

Maybe the second time around there will be some kind of impact on my internal confidence .

I'm done being a baby about everything! I think to myself. I'm a grown ass woman for f-ck sake can I not even order something from a coffee shop without tears?? God I must have looked so pathetic to all those people.

Silence fills the air, but my brain won't be quiet. All I can think about is how I'll survive the rest of the day without messing up again.

You know what they say: you fail once, there's no point trying again.

Or maybe it was only my mother who said that.

I breathe in and try to control myself. I can do this...

_____________________________

Hey sorry I didnt mean to make u guys think I was dead or anything lol:) it's been like...forever I apologize 💗
Kinda lost my Inspo, but I'm getting back on track ;)
Thx so much for ur support guys!