[27] - Second Chances

cooper | stranger

*

Cooper walks into the hospital room and sits down next to his friend, whose expression is void of emotion. Stranger's eyes never waver from his father on the hospital bed.

"Hey bud uh, Alex called. Thought it would be better that you guys talk later if you were up to it."

"..."

"She told me to tell you that she's proud of everything you're doing. Becoming a paramedic and caring for your father even though he's never really been apart of your life. It would be a lot more sentimental if she was here but I can tell that Alex is one special girl."

"..."

Stranger adjusts the glasses on his face and sighs, continuing to stare off at the white hospital sheets, thinking of all the calls he's had with her. Each one is one to remember, whether they were dark or light hearted. None have ended dry like most conversations he use to have with Kelsey.

Alex is so different than anyone he's talked to, but nothing can come of it. Her ex boyfriend just committed suicide, he'll have to head off for training in a month or so, and like she's put if before, they're strangers. Besides, how can you fall for someone through the phone? That only exists in silly love stories...

"I know things aren't looking good right now, but there's a lot of people supporting you. Me, Cam, Damon, Alex too. You've always been my best friend dude, we've never kept secrets and I'm glad—that...I'm glad you're still here today. I honestly don't know where I'd be right now without you running into my room at the butt crack of dawn yelling about the piss all over the toilet."

"..."

Stranger can't stop the smirk pulling at his lips. "You are really bad at aiming."

"Hey how do you know it's not Cam or Damon?"

"You're the only one that stays up until three o'clock in the morning on a week day playing Minecraft."

"I'm getting gains while you guys sleep so who's really winning here?"

"Fine. Next time there's piss or puke in the bathroom, you're cleaning it up."

"Bitch..."

"What was that?"

"Nothinnnngggg."

Their moment of laughter only lasts a few seconds before reality comes crashing back.

"Hey man, it's gonna be ok."

"I want to believe that but...

"But what?"

"I don't know. What—what am I suppose to say to him if he wakes up? He's been gone for so long, Coop. I'll be here to make sure he gets better but...I've lived most of my life without the guy. It's gonna be so...awkward and weird to try and get along with someone that didn't ever seem to want me in their life."

"I'm not saying you need to forgive him right away, but everyone deserves a second chance. You of all people should know that."

"Yeah...yeah I guess you're right."

"Of course I am."

Stranger chuckles again.

"You're starting to sound like Cameron."

"At least I'm not the one stupid enough to try and make a rope out of toilet paper."

*

Sorry that I haven't been updating more recently. School is coming to an end and I've had to study for finals. Hopefully during the summer that'll change.

Thank you to all those that have stuck with this book even though I update once in a blue moon.

Also I have news! After this book is finished, I've got another one in the works. It's going to be a little different than these ones with more story but still short chapters and text messages and everything.

Be sure to:

vote
comment
share
add to library

Until next time

❤️