Chapter 53

At times, there is little logic can do when matters of the heart ignite. This was the exact situation Emery found herself in ever since their co-parenting plan was set in motion.

Deep down, she wanted to hate Miles Dekker for his past transgression. At least that would have given her a more tangible reason to out-rule her feelings for the man and move on with her life.

But with every passing moment she spent with him and their daughter, she witnessed a new part of him that only made the emotional need of giving in stronger.

She was not going to lie, being with Dekker felt right. It always had since their very first encounter. And Heavens knew she still loved the man, but it was easy for her to get caught up in the fear that she was setting herself up for extra heartbreak.

“It's the way I'm feeling I just can't deny but I've gotta let it go. We found love in a hopeless place. We found love in a hopeless place-”

Emery scoffed at the interruption when the song changed, alerting her of a call, but her annoyed expression morphed into a smile when her friend's jolly voice filled the silence of her car.

‘Before you say anything, I know I've been a bad girlfriend and I'm sorry for not checking up on you girls but Hawaii is so beautiful!’

Emery tried her best not to laugh as she maneuvered her way through the rush hour.

“Girl, you don't need to apologize. It's your honeymoon, and seriously I would be concerned if you ditched my brother to keep in touch with me all the time.”

“You always know what to say to make me feel guiltless don't you?”

‘I'm your guilt-free conscience, remember?’

Emery could only visualize the famous eye roll. The line went quiet for a second and from their previous conversations, she knew what was coming before her friend even voiced the words.

‘So how are you girls holding up with big daddy?’

Emery would have facepalmed if she wasn't driving. Leave it to her friend to crack a joke over grim matters. “Christ, stop calling him that.”

Natalia chuckled 'But on a more serious note, are you okay?'

“Yeah... I guess. I mean he turned out to be a great dad and an understanding co-parent so yeah I’m good. We are all good.”

‘Glad to hear that… but girl come on, I've seen his comments on your IG posts so don't keep a sister hanging.’

Emery scoffed. “Well what can I say? We've made our peace...”

‘And?’

Emery sighed. “You know, he is a great father and all but... well nothing is going on between us. I may have forgiven him, but there are still some things that I can't forget about. At least not now… and until I can freely let it go, I don't think it's healthy for us to delve into anything right now.”

‘Like I said before, no one can ever understand your pain cause you alone went through it. But Em, love forgives. However, If it can't be fixed just let him know so he wouldn't get his hopes up. But, if you truly want him back, then sis, go grab your man cause life is too short for you to live in the past.’