Chapter 12 (Forgiveness)

Chapter 12

Forgiveness

*Derek*

I sit on the couch as I look at the clock, dreading the minutes ticking away. Arabella will be home any minute and I'll be dragged off to Christine's. Part of me is pissed she agreed to this dinner and the other part of me is curious as to why it's even taking place. The last time I was called out for a meal, Christine dropped the news about her and Charles. Is this what she does when she wants to announce something?

The front door opens and Arabella walks in. For the first time ever, I'm not happy to see her. She gives me a small smile as she comes to sit next to me on the couch.

"Ready to go?" She asks me as she reaches up and fixes a piece of my hair.

"Not really." I answer honestly. "Why do we have to go anyway?"

"She's your mother and she wants to have a meal with us. We hardly get to see her because she lives outside the city. Besides you being her son, does she really need a reason?"

"This isn't just dinner. She'll want us to stay and talk after."

"And?"

"And I don't want to be bothered with her. I have nothing to say to her."

"You said you'd give her a chance. To do that, you'll actually have to be around her and be nice to her. You'll be fine." She rubs soothing circles on my back. "Let's go before we're late."

I sigh as I force myself off the couch. "Will I get a reward for going through with this?" I ask as I grab my jacket.

"I'm still upset with you, but if you're good we'll see." She winks before walking out the door and my heart skips. "Damn I'm lucky." I say with a smile before following after her.

Arabella drives as I stare out the window watching the buildings get smaller and smaller as we head outside the city. We drive in silence as I become uneasy with every mile closer to Christine's.

"I saw your bike outside." Arabella says. "Where did it come from? I thought it'd been scrapped."

"I did too." I reply, keeping my eyes trained out the window. "Gavin says he found it abandoned shortly after they cleared the crime scene. He was holding onto it for me all this time."

"So you met up with him today?"

"Yeah. We discussed the work I'll be starting on Monday."

"Really? That's great, Derek. Things are looking up. First the job offer and now your bike. Gavin seems to really be looking out for you."

"I guess it seems that way." I mumble.

"You should invite him over for dinner or something sometime. I've barely met him with the brief meetings we keep having."

"Well, he's a busy guy so..."

"Just suggest it." She shrugs. "You never know."

"Yeah, okay." I lie. Gavin won't receive any invitation into my home. That's the one place my "work" can't enter.

We arrive at Christine's house and I reluctantly walk up the path to the front door. Probably sensing my uneasiness, Arabella takes my hand in hers before ringing the bell. Only seconds pass before the front door swings open, revealing Christine with a large smile on her face.