Chapter Thirty-Eight

TANIA

"Don't shout at him

"Don't shout at him." She bit out at the goddess. Even knowing it for an act of utter lunacy, Nia couldn't help herself.

"Nia, we need to make sure Umbran didn't take you over and send you back." The reasonable statement and assured face the goddess had on only served to infuriate her further.

"You want to know what he did to me?" She grit out.

While a part of her found satisfaction at the uncertainty that replaced the Moon's assuredness, for the most part Nia was just too weary. All she wanted was to be a girl getting to know her guy without gods, packs and Alphas interfering. Was it too much to ask?

Maybe her anger was irrational, excessive, but Nia didn't want to hold it back anymore. Somehow, once again relying on instinct, she threw her mind at the goddess. Opening up everything she was to the ancient deity.

"Am I tainted by Umbran?" She demanded, realising as she did that she feared as much. It wasn't like things had been going her way lately despite her will to hold her head high.

"No." Lunar's voice ached. "And don't worry about the baby, I can save him."

"The baby?" Lex questioned, stress marring his voice. "What's wrong with the baby?"

Nia shook her head at her mate, unable to voice the horror that even now played itself inside her body. "How can I trust you?" She pleaded to the goddess. "You abandoned me." She continued, the statement having none of the accusation it'd had before with the unknown being, just weary pain.

Lunar's face crumbled, her eyes radiating a chasm of pain that echoed hers. "Is that what you think child?"

"What else am I supposed to think?" Nia heard the tears lacing her voice and gave into a painful laugh that made the atmosphere feel so much worse. "The Oracles said you pretended to be our aunts and they'd know since they're your Oracles." She wiped the tears as they ran down her cheeks.

"You left two days after I got kicked out of school and never came back. If you had been there, Jake never would've attacked me. And why didn't you come back while he was attacking me? You're a goddess, if you cared as much as you say then you should've known and done something!"

With her hands reaching out, the goddess approached her but Nia took a step back. She couldn't bear her comfort, not when she felt so raw and the Moon was the reason.

Lex's arms wrapped around her from behind, he didn't say anything else, just buried his face into her hair. Nia relaxed into him, took a deep breath until his comforting scent filled her. She relished the feel of his skin against hers, that constant inexplicable buzzing heat that people called the mating sparks.

"The only way I could raise any of you was to bind your powers, and mine." The goddess explained, her eyes begging Nia to understand. "It was a trade off so I could stay on your plane without disrupting nature. Such power can never truly be contained though, so I had to leave some of it unbound.