• Chapter 3 •

~ When reading, please keep your screen at a distance to avoid eye strain ~

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"I still can't understand why you're so calm about failing." Soma muttered under his breath.

"Hm?"

"I mean, you're dish was flawless! You cooked everything so perfectly, she had to be joking!"

I gave Soma a big grin.

"My dish wasn't perfect, I know that for a fact." I told him begrudgingly. As much as I don't want to admit it, it's true. My dish had a flaw.

"What I'm more surprised about is how you're not sulking about failing." This earned a pout from Soma, making me chuckle.

"You're a great cook Soma, and I know that you'll be able to surpass me someday."

Soma gave me a bewildered look. "You always belittle me when it comes to cooking, why the sudden change?"

I just gave him a blank look and said "Just a hunch."

A moment of silence...

The wind was calming, making my hair flow freely behind my back. I looked at Soma's determined gaze. I always liked how he would look so peaceful whenever he's deep in thought.

I swiftly patted Soma's shoulder causing him to flinch ever so slightly. I gave him a look of amusement. "Let's go to my place. I'll cook you something good."

I stood up and started to stretch. My sitting position wasn't exactly comfortable. Hearing a satisfying crack, I headed straight to Toutski's exit. Soma followed suit, although still upset from earlier's events.

During our walk to my place, I decided to drag Soma to a small, familiar playground. "Where in the world are we going now?" Soma whined, causing me to laugh. "Don't you remember when we used to play here?"

Soma looked around. "Oh, this old place. Yeah, I remember."

I sat on one of the swings. "We used to play hide and seek here after your cook offs with Joichiro-san." I reminded him whilst lightly swinging myself. "You used to be so upset whenever you lose too." I chuckled as I pictured a young Soma pouting with his arms crossed, shouting to the world how he'll surpass his dad.

I laughed at the memory and swung myself even further. This however earned a small huff from Soma. He went behind me and stopped me from swinging. "Hey, what gives?" I pouted and looked at Soma only to be met with blank eyes. I gave him a questioning look, earing a sigh in return.

"You do know this is also the place I found you crying because of the accident, right?"

His blank look gave me a weird feeling. It's not everyday I'd see him this serious, aside from whenever he's cooking.

I let off a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Ah, of course I remember!"

Of course I remember, how could I even forget such a cursed accident?

Blood

Broken glass

And the lifeless body of my beloved mother...

It was ten years ago.

I was lucky enough to survive the car accident. But of course, it came with a price.

[Soma's POV]

I sat nonchalantly on the swings. Trying to swing myself higher but to no avail. I stopped.

I could hear faint sobbing near the slides. What worried me was that it sounded like (Y/n). I went to the source of the sound to confirm my suspicions.

It was indeed (Y/n), an ocean of tears falling from her eyes.

She turned to my direction, eyes filled to the brim with tears. "S-soma?" she asked between sobs. I was visibly shaken by her state. This was the first time I've seen her cry.

"W-what's wrong?" I asked, moving closer so I can hear her better. (Y/n) patted the spot beside her, motioning for me to sit. I did as I was told and sat.

A moment of silence was shared between us as (Y/n)'s sobs died down.

"I don't think I'll ever be able to cook again." She said, her voice filled with sorrow.

Then I remembered. Just a few days ago (Y/n) was discharged from the hospital after the car accident. Her mother was less fortunate and passed.

"I... I'm sorry." I failed to form my words. Cooking in the kitchen wouldn't be as fun without (Y/n). We've been cooking together for so long now, it's hard to imagine myself without her.

(Y/n) heaved out a sigh.

"It's not about my mom."

I looked at her with a confused look on my face. She had a look of distress plastered on her.

"Soma... during the accident, I came out with an injury." She heaved out with a shaky breath. I unconsciously placed my hand on her shoulder, listening to her intently.

"And that injury..."

"It lead to me losing my sense of smell."

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Hi I'm back from the dead (^o^)/

In all seriousness though, I was almost about to discontinue this story since I never write anymore. But since you guys seen to want this to continue I decided to try writing again :3

I don't have a set schedule on whenever I update. I only update whenever inspiration hits or if I'm not being lazy so yeah. Sorry about that lol. Also I got a new divider! cool right? ^^

Anyway, sorry if the quality of the chapter was bad. Been busy with life so yea :p

Love ya'll ♡