Chapter 74: Fourth Life - Away from Duty

"Rong Xin! Rong Xin!" Gu Yi called my name as he ran down the grassy hill.

With the sun's brilliance shining down, I was out in the rice paddies trying to catch mud fish. Gu Yi frantically ran to me, almost slipping into the water. Trying to avoid getting mud on his silky robes, he stood in the distance.

He asked, "What are you doing?"

"Catching mud fish."

"Sect Leader Yang asked for you."

Placing my hands on my hips, I was surprised. "Why?"

Gu Yi replied, "I don't know."

"If he needs something, he can ask the others." I mean after all, weren't all servants the same to Master?

"You— You're getting too bold these days. Are you really going to disobey Sect Leader?"

"Not at all. I'm sure anything he asks of me, you can help with. I'm busy at the moment."

"You can catch mud fish later."

"I wanted to cook some for Lord Wu when he comes back tomorrow."

"Oh. I see. Because you can't get any attention from Sect Leader, you've turned to Lord Wu. Not a bad move." Crossing his arms, Gu Yi had his nose high in the air acting arrogant.

"Shut up, Gu Yi or I'm not going to ask Qin Yu to sign you an autograph."

"You—"

"That's right. I know you're a fan."

"Fine... I'll just tell Sect Leader you're busy."

"Good."

Slowly running back the way he came, I returned my attention to the rice paddy. Placing my hands in the shallow water, I felt around for the hidden fish.

"Got you!" Picking up the long scaly creature, I tried to put it into my straw bag hanging across my upper body. It slipped out into the water again, and I jumped to catch it from falling. Digging into the mud I found it again and securely placed it into the bag.

Great! I now have five in total! Such slippery creatures.

Hearing someone's wet footsteps in the mud, I assumed Gu Yi came back to persuade me.

Leaning down to take a closer look at the water, I said, "Gu Yi? I told you I'm busy catching mud fish for Lord Wu. You can help Master with what he needs."

"Since when have you become so close with Wu Jing?"

My spine straightened on its own.

Master?!

I cried out, "It's you!"

Twisting around, I saw Master's pale face. Unable to turn my body, my feet were deeply consumed by the mud's sticky hold. Feeling the weight of my body falling backwards, I waved my hands around for balance.

"Ack!" I screamed. Master's long arms reached out, pulling me into his chest. I grabbed onto his robes, making sure I was stabilized.

Not wanting to be tempted by him again, I quickly let go of Master, pushing him away.

"Don't— Don't touch me."

Master's voice sounded angry. "Sorry. But I'm sure being this close in distance with Wu Jing is not a problem for you."

Is he making fun of me?

It was obvious that he was only there to annoy me. Slowly making my way out of the rice paddy, I pulled myself out onto the dirt path. Looking back at Master, I saw that his robes were drenched in mud water as he didn't even bother to lift it nor fold up his inner pants. It looked like he still had on his socks and shoes too.