Chapter 23

True to his word, Tucker was in the armchair next to me when I opened my eyes

True to his word, Tucker was in the armchair next to me when I opened my eyes. He rose quickly when he noticed that I was conscious. Ben sat across from him and grinned at me when I looked at him.

"You," he began, "are fucking insane."

I laughed and sat up. My head felt like it was bursting through my skull, but otherwise, I felt fresh. My mind was still reeling from the fact that I'd saved two children using some type of energy that came and went through my body like a vessel. I tried to reach out to it but there was nothing, the energy had gone. It was there when I needed it, but no more.

"What happened to Jonah and Pilar?"

Tucker smiled, one of those rare smiles that I didn't usually see. Something inside me stirred.

"They're okay," he said, "because of you."

"I meant, how were they attacked?"

Ben shifted in his seat and lowered his eyes. "The hunters ambushed the Denvers pack. They have a camp in the woods and the hunters found it. We don't know how. They have a witch that cloaks it, but the hunters must have found some way around it. They lost a lot of people. Jonah and Pilar were among the lucky ones."

All three of us were silent as my heart sank at his words. So many emotions flowed through me, filling me with rage and sadness. Then, I realized something.

My face paled. "A camp in the woods?"

"Yeah," Ben began, "most of the Denvers pack focuses on the nature of the wolf. A lot of packs do that, actually. Live in the woods, I mean."

A camp in the woods was where I'd seen the vision of their father. It must have been the Denvers camp. I filed that information away in my head. I needed to tell them to take me there, but I had to do something first.

"Is my family here?" I whispered.

"Your brother and Owein came home a little while ago, but they're upstairs."

Taking my lip between my teeth, my eyes searched Tucker's face. His eyes narrowed as he realized I was holding something back.

"Alice Galloway," I blurted out, "have you met her?"

"Rose's sister?" Ben asked.

I nodded but didn't take my eyes off of Tucker's face. He looked confused and I hated myself for what I was going to tell him.

"No, I've never met her. Rose talks about her though, apparently, she travels a lot. Why?"

Deep breath.

"She's a hunter...and I think she's working with Owein."

"That's impossible-"

"She was the redhead in my vision. The one he was telling to get mistletoe."