1) The Visit

You were being escorted down to the dungeons by two guards.

It had been days since Varian was arrested.

Days since... You betrayed him for the princess.

You felt horrible about it.

You still feel horrible about it.

But you knew what Varian did wasn't right. You did the right thing... Didn't you?

Rapunzel had asked you if you wanted to join her to follow the black rocks. As much as you didn't want to leave Varian, you knew he was going to be in jail for a while.

A long while.

You couldn't just sit down and wait for him to get out. That would've broken you even more.

Waiting.

Waiting for him to get out.

Waiting for him to change.

Waiting for him to forgive you.

Your thoughts were interrupted by one of the guards nudging you. You look up to see him.

Your stomach was in knots even thinking about having to talk to him. You felt as if you were going to throw up.

"We'll be near if he tries anything" One of the guards said as they walked down the narrow corridor, leaving you and Varian alone.

There he was, crouched down in the corner of the cell, Ruddiger by his side. You stayed quiet, trying to gain the courage to talk to him. Before you could even speak, Ruddiger noticed you and chittered. You put your finger against your lips and tried to make him quiet down.

That was when Varian turned to you. You froze, not knowing what to say to your former best friend. He broke the silence.

"What do you want, huh? Here to try to lecture me? Tell me what I did was wrong?" His voice echoed. He sounded bitter and tired. It hurt you to see him act this way towards you.

"I... I just wanted to say goodbye." You said timidly.

"What do you mean 'goodbye'?" He got up and started walking towards you . You could see his face more clearly. You could tell he hasn't slept at all, maybe hasn't eaten either. You looked away from him and breathed in.

"I'm going with Rapunzel to follow to the black rocks. I just wanted to let you know before-"

"You're leaving me for Rapunzel!?" He grabbed the cell bars and gripped them tightly.

"Varian, I can't just sit around and wait for you to get out!" You retorted back at him.

"I see how it is! You found your real friends, haven't you (Y/N)? You don't need your best friend anymore, now do you?!"

"It's not like that!" You felt tears welling up and a lump in your throat.

"Well, who needs you anyway?!" He went back in the corner with Ruddiger, hugging his knees. He got quieter. You could hear him whisper the same thing again, but this time to himself.

You wiped the hot tears from your eyes and started to walk down the hall to leave. You stopped in your tracks to say...

"I love you... I hope when we return, you realize that..." When he didn't respond, you continued down the hall at a faster pace until you were out of sight from the cell.

"She 'loves me' huh, Ruddiger?" He scratched his furry companion's head. "If she did love me, she wouldn't be leaving me."

He was angry at you. Hell, he was furious!

But deep down,

He loved you too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WOW! First one shot ever! And first fanfiction ever. I hope you guys enjoyed it though! I'll take requests!

Word count: 549