Chapter Fifty-Four

Songs for this chapter:
• Better Now - Post Malone
• Back To December - Taylor Swift

Chapter Fifty-Four:

"I can't believe that you two have gone all week without speaking. You seriously didn't even wish him 'happy birthday' today? He turned eighteen. That's pretty big," Jasmine comments, releasing a strand of my hair from where she's holding it around the barrel of a curling wand.

She begged me to let her put my hair up, but after I refused, she told me that I had to at least let her curl it.

She already looks like a goddess. Her hair is up in a messy fishtail braid, and she's already wearing her silver dress paired with higher heels than I've ever seen on her feet.

My brother can't take his eyes off of her, even as him and Jordan are sitting on the edge of the bathtub, immersed in conversation.

Jasmine finishes up my hair, a huge smile on her face as she flips all the curls back behind my shoulders. She unplugs the curling wand before grabbing a hair comb from the countertop, brushing it through my long locks before clapping her hands together in excitement.

My makeup is already done, and as badly as Jasmine wanted to do it for me, I knew that she would go way over the top, which is why I just did it myself.

Taking a firm hold of my hand, Jasmine drags me back out into the bedroom.

"Boys! Get your asses out here!" Jasmine calls to my brother and Jordan, both of whom appear out of the bathroom a few moments later, heading to take a seat on the bench at the foot of my bed.

I walk across the room to grab my dress from the closet, pausing when my eyes fall on Bryce's sweater which I still haven't returned.

He must've noticed by now and is just avoiding bringing it up, but I'm not mad about that as it means that I can be a total creep and wear it whenever I'm missing him.

I pull my red dress off the hanger, heading back into the room with the article of clothing in my hands.

"Want to pick out a pair of shoes for me?" I ask Jasmine as I head to the bathroom to change, and she squeals, nodding and rushing into my closet just as I shut the bathroom door behind me.

I just wore jeans and a T-shirt to school today, and so I change out of those and into the dress.

I'm able to get the zipper about halfway up before I turn to look at myself in the mirror.

I really do like how I look right now. I smooth the skirt of the dress down, turning to the side to check myself out for a moment before beaming at my reflection.

It's insane how much this dress seems to do for my confidence, and I'm thrilled that Jasmine picked it out for me even if she only wanted to please Bryce.

When I emerge back into the bedroom, shutting the lights off behind me, Jordan is standing and staring at something on top of my desk.

I walk up behind him, tapping him in the back and asking, "Can you zip my dress up?"

He nods at me, walking around behind me and finishing closing the zipper with one quick movement.

Him no longer in the way, I can now see that he was examining my cherry blossom necklace.

I honestly haven't worn it ever since Bryce and I's chat on the university field trip, and it makes me feel a little bit guilty.

Although it's just one simple piece of jewelry, it means so much to me, and I hate that I feel uncomfortable wearing it now.