Chapter 47

Chapter 47

A soul for a soul...

Was I truly that desperate for the knowledge of my birth? Of my creation? For the purpose that had kept me going for 6 years? Could I really kill, just to get my answer? I was pulled from my thoughts as Gamora began to laugh.

" All my life, I dreamed of a day, a moment, when you got what you deserved. And I was always so disappointed. But now, you kill and torture and you call it mercy. The universe has judged you. You asked for a prize, and it told you no. You failed. And do you wanna know why? Because you love nothing. No one." As Gamora spoke she stepped closer to him, and he turned to her with tears in his eyes.

" No." Thanos muttered

" Really? Tears?"

" They're not for him." The hooded figure said and slowly Gamora's smile disappeared as she realized his meaning. Thanos stepped toward her and she backed away. " No. This isn't love."

" I ignored my destiny once. I cannot do that again. Even for you."

Gamora stared at him a moment before pulling her knife off his belt, and attempted to kill herself, only to have knife turn into a stream of bubbles. " I'm sorry, little one." Thanos said, before grabbing her by the wrist. I tried to help her, but the moment I took a step, pain ripped through my body and I collapsed to the ground. My vision blurred as I watched Thanos drag her to the edge, tears filled my eyes as she was thrown off into the valley below. When the pain disappeared, I ran to the edge, only to collapse once more when I realized that there was nothing I could do. She was gone.

The mountain's summit was filled with a bright light and I squeezed my eyes shut when it became to much. When I opened them again, I standing in an empty field of water, above me the sky had eclipsed and I could just make out a mountain range in the distance. I spun around in confusion, kicking up water as I moved, before I turned as figure , dressed in a dark cloak moved toward me. " At last. " The figure spoke, before pushing back her hood to reveal...me? This me had orange eyes, and seemed older, more wiser.

" Your confusion is expected. Allow me to explain, I am the you, that sleeps within. The you that you must and will become. As you were meant to." She said.

" What is this place?" I asked.

" A pocket universe. A place to hold the Soul stone until the proper time, but the stone was not why you were brought here. The reason you are here, is because there is something you must know before it is given to you."

" But I didn't-"

" As with the other stones, the mere presence is enough. There is no time in this world, so ask your questions." She smiled. I opened and closed my mouth like a fish, not knowing where to started and she laughed quietly, realizing that I had temporarily lost y ability to speak. " Why don't we start at the beginning, then?"

" Please." I said and she nodded before turning to walk away. A doorway appeared as she walked and I followed her through it,  and as the light cleared, I found myself standing outside of my apartment. It was nighttime, and strangely the street was quiet. I looked as I caught movement to find a small bundle sitting on the top step. I climbed the stairs to get a closer look, only to stare wide eyed down at the sleeping baby girl wrapped in grey. My gaze flew to the door as it opened, and a younger version of my mother stood before me. When she saw the child, she quickly scooped it up and carried it inside.

" Michael." She called out, terrified as she began to close the door and I hurried inside before it closed. Everything seemed to speed up as they talked back and forth about what to do, before a bright light filled the corner of the room and four figures appeared, their faces were hidden but they each wore a different colored hood. My parents stared at the four, and my father went for his gun having had it still strapped to waist. He must have just gotten home because he was still dressed in his uniform.

He tossed the gun on the floor, as if it had burned him, and one of the figures stepped forward, this one was obviously a women, and her cloak seemed to be made of darkness itself. " Fear not. We have not come to harm you, but to warn you. The child you now hold in your arms, has been given a great purpose. Care and raise her as your own, for in time, she will be the savior of all."

" Savior?" My mother questioned. " Why? What is coming? Why place her with us?"

" Worry not. The danger will not come until the day of her 24th year. Only then, will she be ready, as it has been foretold."

As she spoke the last word, I was temporarily blinded as the room exploded in a bright light. When it cleared once again, I was standing back in the water filled world and the other me stood before me. " Those people, who were they?" I asked.

" Cosmic beings, the creators of the infinity Stones to be exact."

" If they created the infinity Stones, then they must have created me to." I muttered and she nodded. " When the Infinity Stones were created, they took power from each of them, and created the power you now hold. Your creation wasn't as...'instant' as that of the stones, you were created in a place outside of time. Only once they wee sure you were ready, did they place you on earth."

" Why Earth?" I questioned, and she sighed. " Though your powers took many years to fully develop, you were young, and could have been swayed if you fell into the wrong hands. You were placed on Earth, as a precaution." That makes sense, I guess. No one would have suspected a human to have that kind of power.

" How is possible that Chloe and the others exist as they do?"

" It is true that no one being can posses the power of all 6 Infinity Stones, so to help you, mental pockets were created within your mind. Awakening only at first contact with one of the stones; but because the stones act as they do, as entities themselves, the mental pockets took on minds of their own, creating separate vessels that could manifest freely if you were need of aid, or counsel."

" My own personal jiminy crickets." I mumbled and she nodded with a small laugh. " In a way, yes. They are. It was unforeseen, however, how 'uniquely' they would act once awakened. Curious really. If you so desire, you might even have the will to separate completely from them. The choice is yours, of course. "

 " What did they mean when they said, 'it was foretold'?" I questioned and the other me was quiet, before she turned away from me. " You were created as a safeguard, a way to make sure that the Stones were not misused. You alone have the power to destroy them."

" Why do I feel a but?" I asked and she faced me with a sorrowful look. " To destroy them will come at a great cost. One that you  must be prepared to pay, should the choice need to be made."

" If it means stopping Thanos, I will pay it." I said.

" Even if it is the end of all you know?" She questioned, and I nodded. " Yes." I answered, more sure about this then anything.

" Then I wish you luck." The other me said before she turned to water and disappeared. Where she once stood, a single orange stone hovered for a moment, before shooting toward me and hit me hard enough in the chest that I was knocked off my feet and into the water behind me. As I was submerged, I sat up on the mountain's summit with an audible gasp, as if truly breathing in for the very first time.

So, Aria's true origins have been revealed.

What price must be paid?

Will Aria pay it?

Stay tuned to find out.