fourteen

The walk to the hotel was chillier than I expected, and I found myself huddling into my jacket as we passed by more appropriately dressed pedestrians

The walk to the hotel was chillier than I expected, and I found myself huddling into my jacket as we passed by more appropriately dressed pedestrians. With the rushed packing I did, I didn't really account for anything other than typical May weather, which the streets of the city don't seem to follow.

Charlie thankfully seemed fine, probably too distracted to notice the temperature. His gaze followed everything-- every pigeon, passing car, and store window. Kat's gaze trailed as well, but I caught her keeping an eye on Charlie as well, which I'm grateful for. Towards the heart of Manhattan it feels like the city could swallow us whole, and I've been way more paranoid about Charlie vanishing from between us than logic should allow.

Now the Millennium looms in front of us, it's reflective exterior touching the sky and making me feel dizzy as I look to the top.  I face the entrance instead, which is sleek and modern, all black and chrome. The three of us are mirrored on the building, looking exactly like the kind of people who don't stay in a hotel like this. Even though I know my family has the money and I remember staying in places that were probably just as nice, I can't shake the feeling that I don't belong.

If Kat feels the same way, it doesn't show. She pulls out her phone and aims the camera at our reflection, catching me off guard in my frozen state. Charlie throws up a quick peace sign and grins widely while Kat lets out a laugh, the camera clicking before I can even put on a smile.

"I wasn't ready," I defend myself as she holds the phone out for us to look. 

Charlie stands on his toes and I lean in to see the picture, where I'm frozen in time wearing the world's most serious expression, next to the happiest looking eight year old of all time and a girl with an endearingly crooked smile. I shake my head, but can't help laughing at how out of place I look next to them. 

"Speaking of ready," Kat says, locking the phone and sliding it back into the pocket of her shorts before turning to me with an expectant look, "Are we going inside any time soon?"

I nod, even though it feels like I could stand out here forever and never be ready. The three of us head into the doorway and file into the lobby, which is just as modern as the outside.  Every wall is made of warm-toned wood, which all the low hanging lights reflect off of. There's a family sitting in the nicely-furnished lobby to the left and a couple talking to one of the receptionists. I lead Kat and Charlie up to the available woman, who's looking at us with a smile that I'm sure she's paid to fake.

"Welcome to the Millennium Hilton, how can I help you this morning?" she asks, tone sickly sweet. Her black hair is slicked back into a tight bun, the neat hairstyle matching her crisp white shirt and fitted grey blazer. 

"Um," I stutter, unprepared despite the loitering we just did outside. "I'm looking for my dad, Isaac Ausman. I was hoping you could tell me if he works here."

Her smile falters, the corners of her mouth struggling for a second to stay raised. "I'm sorry, sir. I'm not authorized to give out that kind of information. Is there anything else I can help you with?"