14. Wedding Day Aftermath

~Not Edited~

As far as the deal was concerned, Ella restricted herself to prevent or at least minimize any intimate contact with the Duke especially considering how rather quick the event of the day went by with one well organized programme.

Ella felt a tingly sensation dance about her lips. As she slowly caressed it, her thoughts wondered back to that particular moment.

[Flashback]

"May the Peace and the Unconditional Love of God surround you –"

His whirling pools of grey held a light that was almost familiar in the sense of truth, to Ella. As they both held each other's hands with their rings giving new company to their hands confirming reality of the event, Ella couldn't help but feel as though the Duke showed a bit of warmth during the matrimony.

Is this all part of the facade? Ella inwardly questioned.

Pathetic. Ella retorted.

Ever since the day had begun, all Ella could reduce her thoughts towards was the Duke. Strange as it was, her thoughts seemed curious to know more about what his involvement in the past was with Abraham and The Rauffes family, particularly Victoria. With all the maids, servants, guards, tailors, bakers, cooks, guests hopping about and whosoever that have contributed to the wedding day of nobility and a mere commoner, in all that was chaotic yet well organised, Ella only thought about the Duke in a particular way that made her question a lot about him and this deal she had gotten herself into.

However, in that particular moment, Ella gazed into his steel grey eyes that shone in the light as though he sincerely meant it. His dashing attire never failed to enhance his definite physique which only made Ella gulp intensively. His dark hair smoothly combed to the back with a few strands dangling about his forehead and his lips. Partially parted, Ella had a strange feeling that he wanted to kiss already.

Strange.

"– and remain with you now and forevermore. Amen." The Priest concluded. "You may seal your vows with a kiss."

As much as her heart began to pound so fast and loudly, she became quickly disappointed.

Cheering and clapping immediately broke out causing Ella to realize that the Duke had only in a milli-tiniest-bit-of-a-second pecked her on the lips as though they had some sort of malicious disease that would affect his health.

More like his feelings. Ella's mind responded.

As the Duke faced the crowd posing an all knowingly fake smile whilst holding onto Ella's hand, Ella in her tad anguish state went along with it.

Hello, it's a deal remember! Not a real wedding that doesn't involve all that you despise! The voice in her mind reminded.

With her fake smile in tow, Ella glanced at the Duke as she thought:

Hopeless.

[End of Flashback]

Bringing her thoughts to reality, the tingly feeling she felt vanished in a glimpse.

The newlyweds were now travelling for an hour or so to a destination only Amos knew, which also angered Ella but nevertheless she did not mind, for after all she was only to obey his every command.

Hmpf! Ella internally scoffed.

Jostling and tumbling here and there in the plain yet elegantly black-leather carriage, Ella hadn't realized that Amos was studying how quickly her expression changed from a dazzling newly wedded wife to a seemingly disappointed girl.