Chapter Fifty-Six

Songs for this chapter:
• Dress - Taylor Swift

Chapter Fifty-Six:

I feel myself blushing as Bryce sets me down on the pavement of the parking lot. To my side is his truck, and he opens the door for me to sit inside.

I give him a grateful smile, sitting down in the seat where Bryce then closes the door for me, walking around to sit in the driver's seat.

I pull out my phone to leave Charlie a text message, just as Bryce buckles his seatbelt and starts the truck's engine up.

Lexi:
I'm leaving with Bryce right now.
Might not be home tonight.

Charlie doesn't respond straight away, and so I drop my phone into one of the empty cup holders.

Bryce pulls his phone out of his pocket as he does the same, and just as he pulls out of the parking spot, his phone screen flashes with a text notification.

Asshole:
Finally getting laid, Bradshaw?

Bryce glances towards the phone, and just as he makes a right-hand turn out of the parking lot, he asks, "Who's that from, baby?"

I pick up the phone, examining the message again.

"It's from 'Asshole'. Asking if you're getting laid tonight," I respond, and Bryce groans inwardly.

"That's Jordan. Tell him to fuck off," Bryce instructs, and with his permission I respond to the message.

Bryce:
Fuck off.

Asshole:
Cool it, dude.
But I guess I'll take that as a yes.

I decide to leave that message for Bryce to respond to later, and so I drop the phone back into the cup holder.

Bryce then reaches across to rest his right hand on the top of my thigh, giving it a tight squeeze before gluing his eyes back to the road.

We don't really speak at all on the ride to his house, and I would blame that predominantly on all of my nerves.

Bryce seems totally cool and collected though, all until we pull into his driveway.

The moment he parks the car, he lets out a long and shaky breath that I'm sure he's been holding in for awhile.

He then gives his head a small shake, grabbing both of our phones and slipping them into his pockets.

He unlocks the car, giving me a brief smile before stepping out of the vehicle.

I do the same, and when we meet by the stairs to his home, he links his fingers through mine. It gives me a sense of comfort to know that he cares about how I'm feeling in this moment right now too, and as we walk up the steps, I suddenly feel grounded again.

Bryce uses his key to unlock the door, pushing it open and letting me step inside the doorway first.

He follows behind me, locking the door behind us before hanging his keys up on a holder along with many other keys for surely expensive cars.

I take my shoes off and he does the same, before turning back to me with a nervous smile on his face.

"Let's go upstairs?" he asks, offering me his hand to take, and I nod, grabbing his hand before I follow him up the stairs.

I've never been more scared for anything before in my life.

I'm beyond thrilled when Bryce walks me into his own bedroom, closing the door behind us.