Chapter 34

Only if I knew

I take my laptop and scroll through all the pictures I took on my way here. Ruhi and my aunt tried to get me out of this room but I made the excuse of being extremely tired. I am actually, but mentally and emotionally, if you understand what I am saying. They asked me about my work and how I am doing. It was going fine, until they asked me why I came back all of a sudden. I half lied saying, I was missing them and came back for a much required break. Because I don't intend to tell them about my sappy, stupid heartbreak episode. After having a sumptuous Indian lunch, and making sure I thank them enough, I grabbed my phone and turned off the airplane mode finally. Instantly, my phone started going wild, vibrating. Messages from Anna, Mill, Fatty and Hero flood in. They have been trying to reach me since yesterday. Do they know what happened in London? Obviously, they do. Otherwise there is no reason for them to worry about me. Hero must have told them. Why? Why would he do that? To add more to my humiliation? To prove to my friends, how foolish I was to trust him, after all their warnings. It takes every piece of my strong will to ignore his messages on my phone. I should tell my friends, where I am before they go crazy out of panic. I type my text to Anna but then stop. If I tell them, they will probably tell Hero and I don't want that. But how does it matter? He won't come here. But still, I want to keep this time for myself so I text Anna that I am fine and they have nothing to worry about. She will let Fatty and Mill know.
Mill. I should have listened to him. Irrespective of his feelings for me, he warned me. He repeatedly told me, not to trust Hero, that I am nothing but sheer 'messing around' for him. I hate it to admit but he was right, all along. I placed my camera for charging and folded my clothes and other stuff, when I heard voices from the front yard. I wore a shrug on my tank top and walked out of the room to see. This yard, serves as a living room in this house, so all the guests are seated here and it is the perfect place for family get together thing. My aunt and Ruhi are talking to a man. He is massive in size and has a certain air of authority in his conduct. The boy accompanying him is quite. He is around my age and looks lost, picking his fingernails. The boy is good looking, I must say. He is tall, stout and has long hairs. He seems least interested in the conversation going there and the man, his father maybe, is looking around as if assessing the house. His eyes fall on me, standing in the corner awkwardly, leaning against a pole. "Yeh kaun hai?" The man asks in his deep voice, looking at me. My aunt who had no idea about my presence turns towards me and her smile fades away. She doesn't seem quite pleased seeing me there but gestures me to come over.
(Translation- Who is she?)
"Yeh meri bhanji hai. Abhi wapas aayi hai America se" my aunt introduces me and I give small smile to them, bringing my hands together in namaste. The man looks at me from head to toe as I move to sit across him.The way his eyes travel on me, makes me feel uncomfortable.
(Translation- She is my niece. She has come back from America) "Vani, yeh tumharey mausa ke purane dost hai Brijraj ji aur yeh unka beta Rehan" she introduces the man and his son. The boy looks at me and gives a small nod towards his father.
(Translation- Vani, he is an old friend of your uncle Mr.Brijraj and this is his son Rehan)
"Khair chaliye ji, humein accha laga milkar. Aap humein thoda waqt de ab,sochne ke liye. Hum dekhte hai hum kya kar sakte hai" the man says getting up.
(Translation- Anyways, it was nice meeting you. Please give us some time to think now. Let us see, what we can do.)
The way my aunt and Ruhi treat him with bowing head down and all, makes me doubt that whether he is a friend or more. His demeanor definitely does not say so. Rehan gives me a small smile before following his father out. To say that this entire exchange was awkward, would be the least. I don't judge people, or at least I try not to but somehow, this man seems not so genial, as much as he was pretending to be.
"Who was he?" I ask Ruhi when she returns after bidding them goodbye. "Maa told you he is a friend of Papa" she said. "Ummm.....yes but he seemed more of a.....you know" I tell her. "No, he is just a friend of father" she replies looking away. I know, this is not the complete truth but I don't want to meddle in their family matters. So I go back to my room and do what is best. Sleep. I might sound like a sloth, but trust me, it helps to cope up with things and situations, you want differently. At least in my dreams, I am free. I can think, whatever I want to and dream of Hero, the way I wish. The way I want us to be. Wanted us to be.