VII : Ela

The practice room hadn't been used in a while. Glowing speckles of dust covered the black parquet floor, flying up and dancing as Elara Sillich's boots swiped across. It was almost dark, the glowering sunlight only illuminating some square areas.

It came with no warning. A plume of fire exploded into the blackness, the flame rolling outwards like the smoke of a mushroom cloud. Glowing embers leaped and twirled in a fiery dance as the flame faded, only to be replaced by a new one, a stronger one. Ela shoved her fist forward, a wide ribbon of heat shooting into the murk. Her opponent was still hiding in the shadows, and she could feel him nearby. Her mentor's voice sounded in her head like an echo, requesting control, but the longer she searched and found nothing the more it sounded like the buzz of a fly.

Her fire stopped. She tried to listen carefully, looking out for some footsteps or a breath louder than intended. She was met with silence. Releasing a frustrated groan, Ela moved her hands in a wide circular motion, creating a flaming halo around her.

"P-Please, your Excellency," a quivering voice sounded above her. Several sighs and scoffs followed, making her blood boil and her head spin with exasperation.

When I find you, she promised to her competitor, I'll make sure you burn like an overcooked steak.

She had gathered enough energy. Ela sprung her hands down, the fat golden ring spreading in the room like a curse, burning everything in its path to a crisp. For a split second, her careful eyes caught cowardly movement only a few feet to her right. She didn't even bother suppressing a smirk.

She thought of the Kingfisher, of the search party. She reminded herself what an inconsiderate asshole her father had spawned. Her golden eyes squeezed shut, embracing the darkness for a second.

The fire withered. She took a deep breath, and as if a switch snapped inside her heart, the heat in her body vanished. It only took a second for her to shift and prepare herself. Without measuring its brilliance or the consequences of her actions, the girl raised her right leg and slammed it on the already slick floor. Within moments, gleaming ice bloomed underneath her boot, spreading rapidly across the hooded stadium. Instead of creating the smooth surfaced she was trained to accomplish, Ela generated a complicated mix of hills and ditches, too thick to see through or break.

A harmony of gasps occupied the seats above. The arena roared in a medley of yells and screams as Ela approached the earth manipulator. He cursed as he scratched the ice covering his feet, striving desperately to break free. His features declared hopelessness, begging for her pity.

"Let me win," he whispered in agony. "For my family."

Ela snatched the cloth hanging from his waist, raising it to the air for everyone to see. The audience, both students and teachers, had to cheer; they valued their life, besides.

The girl didn't wait for a fire manipulator to come, nor did she pull her classmate out of her ice. She stormed off, exiting the large room, only to be greeted by curious faces outside.

"Elara!" her mentor, Karj, screamed, running to catch up with her. "What were you thinking? You know that's against the rules! Do you wish to be expelled?" He searched for some sense in her bright eyes. "Your Excellency," he added hastily.

Ela barked a terse, humorless laugh. "Expel me, banish me, crucify me for all I care. Anything to be away from that asshole."

Karj frowned, shaking his hand. "Balok is a good student, I do not know why you--"

"Kage Sillich is that asshole."

With a gasp, Karj leaned closer to Ela, whispering furiously. "Hush! Do not be disrespectful, young lady!"