Chapter 22: Safety

Morgan's Pov

I had gotten Shelby to a safe location. While I was running I ran into Donovan. He had seen what Agatha had done and he left before anything could've happened. He had helped me get Shelby to a doctor for our group and they had her in operation fast. 

I sat down against the wall and I waited when Donovan came over yet again. He really needed to learn to leave people alone. People meaning Me. 

"What happened?" He asked. He sat down in front of me crossing his legs. I was just sitting with one leg out and the other upwards in a triangle with my arm resting over my knee looking out the windows of the building we were in. It was an abandoned old building. Newish but not new enough apparently. The walls were yellow and it had a white picket fence surrounding it with remains of an old flower garden in front. The windows were in good shape. Only one was broken and that one was in the one for the upstairs bathroom. 

The house had 3 floors with plenty of rooms. The basement had 3 rooms with a few twin sized beds in each. The middle floor, which I was on now, had around 7 rooms. Also had twin sized beds. Each room had twin sized beds actually. There may have been one with a queen or a king somewhere but I can't remember. The upstairs had only 2 bedrooms. both smaller rooms due to the limited space above us. Finally, I started talking to Donovan. 

"Shelby had contacted us on our earpieces. Which reminds me, why were they disabled?" I asked him Donovan sighed. 

"Agatha did that so that way we couldn't get help from outside people." He said and I nodded continuing.

"She got in contact with us anyways and she told us that people were attacking everyone. That was when we heard the guns being fired and it went silent. We went to rescue her and in the process. I found out..." I started and Donovan nodded sadly. 

" I know. I heard. and I saw it." He said sadly. "I held her while she...died." He said and I saw a few tears fall down his face. I gently grabbed his hand holding it for comfort. He looked away. " just...continue." I nodded.

"I broke and Josh brought us to the basement and we found Shelby. I got her out when a guard found us. Josh got a bit beat up. As well as me. Shelby finally knocked him out with a broken torch." I laughed just a small bit. "I tried to get Shelby away as we sprinted through the cornfield but Shelby was wounded. Agatha had shot her. Josh came back and shot at Agatha's gun stopping her from killing me. Then he told me to grab Shelby and go." I said. Donovan nodded taking it all in.

"Wow." He said. I raised a brow at him but didn't say anything. "Josh will be okay. He's strong. Agatha's strongest." He gave me a gentle smile and stood up walking away and I sat on the floor waiting. 

~~~
It was dark outside. The stars were shining in the sky and the moon was shining in through the windows. I hadn't moved. No way in hell. I hadn't eaten. Shelby was out of surgery. In recovery a few rooms over from where I was supposed to be staying. I didn't go to the room though. Not until I knew Josh was okay. 

That was when I heard the floorboards creak by the door and I looked up seeing him standing in the doorway looking exhausted. I looked at him shocked for a moment and he shared the same look. I stood up faster then I had ever moved before and he ran over to him wrapping my arms around him hugging him tightly. I closed my eyes resting my head in his shoulder. 

"are you okay? Are you hurt?" I asked. He shook his head. 

"No. No, I'm okay. Are you hurt?" He asked gently wrapping his arms around me gently holding me close.

"I don't matter right now. Tell me what happened." I said gently looking at him. His eyes practically glowed in the moonlight. He almost looked like a god. 

"I went to talk with Agatha. No way in hell was I going to let her do that to you and your friend. Not only that, she's the reason your sister is dead." He said. I nodded and I led him to the kitchen table gently helping him sit down. He grabbed my hands gently holding them.

"She wanted this all to happen. But she wants me by her side." He scoffed. "I said hell no. No way could I leave you. Anyways, Agatha had threatened me. I still told her to fuck off. She didn't want to so Instead I grabbed my gun and shot her in the stomach. Sadly. Rumors are already spreading that she lived. If so, she'll be weak and easily killable. We need to prepare." He said. I looked at him shocked. My Josh was a lot more different then what I originally thought. 

"But she didn't get to hurt you did she?" I asked. He shook his head.

"No. But I'm more worried about you. Are you hurt?" He asked. 

"I'm fine. I..." I started but I was interrupted by Josh grabbing me and slamming his lips onto mine. I didn't hesitate to kiss back as I wrapped my arms around his neck gently. The kiss lasted at least a full 2 minutes before we had to pull back for air. He looked at me in awe for a moment before he gently kissed me again more gentle and I let him.

"You have no idea how long I have waited to do that." He said and he chuckled a bit. I rested my head on his shoulder gently just staying close to him and we stayed in comfortable silence for quite a while. Every so often he would gently kiss my head and keep me close. That was until Donovan walked in.

"You two are sickeningly cute." He shook his head. Josh and I blushed a bit and Donovan chuckled. He motioned for us to follow him and we went to Shelby's room to see her asleep in a bed. Her leg was wrapped up and she had a blood bag IV going into her arm. I went over to her and I gently grabbed her hand. 

"She's okay. You got her here fast." Donovan said and I smiled gently. 

"You'll be okay Shelby. You just rest." I said quietly and Josh gently put his hand on my shoulder and I gently placed my free hand on his letting him know I acknowledged him. I gently let go of Shelby's hand and looked at Josh smiling gently and he gave a small one back. A new look for him. I gently cupped his face kissing him again and Donovan made a gagging noise.

"Ew. Gross." He walked out of the room making Josh and I chuckle. 

"She'll be alright. Although..."He started. I nodded knowing what he was thinking. 

"Yeah. Agatha." I said and he nodded. We needed to do some training and a lot of it. 

"The backyard should be good. It's spacey and the fences are higher than average. For obvious reasons." He smiled gently making me giggle just a small bit. 

"Sounds good. We need to get some rest first. After...Shelby. I'm not in the best shape. Mainly with sleep." I smiled a bit and Josh shook his head slightly. 

"Good night, Morgan." He gently kissed my head holding my hand while doing so and then he walked away and we let our hands slowly fall out of eachothers grip. I stood there for a moment, with a small smile on my face. 

Eventually I had decided I needed to sleep and stop daydreaming. I went over to my room and laid down on my bed closing my eyes falling asleep.