Thirty Two

Skylar's POV

This was my sixth (and probably the last) attempt to push open the car door, which at that moment was all I could've opted for even if the car was moving. I was so sure I'd get out this time. So sure.

But to my utter dismay, the door didn't budge at all.

"Unlock the fucking door, Caden!" I shouted out loud in frustration.

Caden glanced at me from the driver's seat and just that one glance told me how much he actually regretted bringing me along. Which brought me back to the fact that he had dragged me out of school without asking me, against my free will, and during my only free period. He had forced me to get inside his car as he drove to God knows where.

"I'm not doing that, Anderson." He muttered, looking into the rearview mirror.

I tried opening the door once again. Of course, I knew it wouldn't open. Caden must've operated the child lock. But if I panicked enough, maybe he would realize how wrong this really was, and maybe he'd finally tell me what was going on.

Which wasn't what happened at all.

"Why not?"

"I can't." He gritted out.

That's when I let go of the door handle and gazed outside the car window. There was true horror creeping inside me once I saw the unfamiliar surroundings. We were nowhere near our school, or my home even. The road was leading to nowhere in particular.

Where were the people?

"Caden, you're really scaring me now," I whispered. Where was he planning to take me? I thought we were past that whole hostile stage after he'd dropped me back home last night. After our conversation on the school grounds. Everything had seemed so fine until it wasn't.

Had he finally realized that telling me about the gang secret was a wrong move? Had I said something to him last night when he'd dropped me back home, that made him realize he needed to shut me up for good?

"Stop--" He frowned. "--over exaggerating this, Skylar."

I looked at him unbelievably. "I'm not over exaggerating this! You just dragged me along without even telling me where you're taking me. You just made me skip school." I blinked and wrapped my arms around myself in horror. "I don't even know what's going on."

He didn't even bother looking at me this time, speeding down the oddly isolated highway. He was driving too fast; the tall trees outside were passing by in a blur.

"There's someone behind us."

"What do you mean someone's behind us?"

"Someone's been following us. Following you. Stalking you. Better?"

I regarded him with a glare. When he made no move to elaborate it any further, I turned my head around and looked outside. Along the empty road behind us, there was a black motorcycle. Following us.

"Who is he?" I asked him in a quiet whisper.

I couldn't make out the guy from this far except for his huge motorcycle, but I could see he had a black hood over his face, shadowing it. Either Caden was driving way too fast, or the guy on the motorcycle was driving way too slow. Definitely the former.

"He's following us because of you," Caden added. "He's been told to stalk you."

I looked back at him in bewilderment. "Don't talk crazy."