22. Tortellini

"I am sorry but I can't!" Vincent said angrily before disconnecting the call.

Before I could confront him my phone started ringing. We both jumped in surprise. "Eleanora, what are you doing here?" Vincent asked in a surprised tone after turning around to see me standing there.

Before answering his question I received the call. "Hello Eleanor its me Kaden," he sneezed.

"Oh hi Kaden!" I said clearing my throat. Right then Vincent rolled his eyes. What was up with him?

"Hey listen. I know this is random but do you mind adopting a cat? The thing is my evil wife got me a cat even though as you can see that I am allergic to cats," he paused to sneeze again.

I laughed,"Why would she do that?"

"Because I BROUGHT GIRLS HOME. I honestly didn't do anything. You can't blame me for girls finding me irresistible." Now it was my turn to roll my eyes.

I heard a female voice from behind. "You got a wife and you dare to bring girls home. That's the one thing you're not supposed to do!" She chided him.

"But you're my FAKE WIFE!" He reasoned and it was followed by another sneeze.

"So? I don't care. I am allergic to you bringing girls home and you still brought them. So I got a cat- to teach you a valuable lesson."

"You-," I bet Kaden was ready to argue with her more but then he realized I was still on the phone. "Anyways, I will deal with my evil wife later. So I tried convincing Vincent to take the cat but he wouldn't. I just left it at the restaurant few hours ago even though he didn't want it. Can you please convince Vince?"

"But how?-" I was interrupted by his sneeze.

"Stupid cat hairballs are everywhere!" He cried out. 

"Why don't you take it to an animal shelter?"

"I would've but she will bring it back. Trust me I know what she is capable of. Hey why don't you take it to the animal shelter for me?"

"Okay fine. I could do that."

"Or you could keep it. Its cute. I will come to pet it every now and then after having my allergy meds in that way I've an excuse to see my brother often."

I laughed,"Okay. I will try to."I looked at Vincent to see that he was looking at me with one of his eyebrows arched.

I hung up. "No I am not keeping the cat at my place." Vincent said.

"But-."

"I just talked to him. I can't take responsibility for his actions all the time. He still acts like a kid-"

"Wait. You were talking to Kaden about the cat?"

"Yeah. I finished talking to him and then that idiot called you."

I suspected him again. What is wrong with me? Why am being I so paranoid? I am tired of being anxious and over the edge all the time. I try not to encourage this feeling inside me but I can't help myself. "I need a moment." I said excusing myself.

I went to the washroom to wash my face. This isn't me. I wasn't like this before but after the who Marcus thing I am so irrationally anxious these days. I don't like that about myself. I went to the washroom in Vincent's room. The room was dark but it was slightly illuminated by the light coming from the washroom as I kept the door open. 

I finally saw the cat which was under the bed as a result I didn't notice it at first but then when I turned on the lights of the washroom it got out. In the mirror I could see that it was standing at the bathroom entrance meowing at me.

I turned around to pick it up. It was a ginger tabby cat. It was adorable and I instantly fell in love with it. I always wanted a cat after seeing the cute ginger cat from "Breakfast at Tiffany's" but cats were never allowed at the castle so I never got one. "Oh aren't you the cutest little thing" I said stroking its back and it purred happily.

"No matter how cute you look petting the cat. We can't keep him," Vincent said with a disapproving look on his face.

"But-."

"I am sorry but I can't. Keeping a pet is a lot of responsibilities. And I am not good at it."

"But I'll take care of it. I promise you don't have to do anything."

"But you won't be staying here forever. You will go after that I would've to take care of it," he reasoned.

"No you don't! I will take him with me. Please, can we keep him?"

"No. I will get someone from the staff to take him away or we will take him to an animal shelter."

"But-."

"I don't want to hear anything! The cat isn't staying at my place and that's final."

I was sad but it was his house and so his rules. "Fine. But can he stay with us just for tonight?"

"Nope. He is staying here. I got him a litter box and a feeding bowl with food in it for it to last it for a night."

I was upset now. The whole ride to home I didn't talk to him at all. He didn't make any attempt to talk to me either. We stopped at the nearest Walmart to get some groceries but I didn't get out of the car. I knew I was being childish but I was too upset about the cat.  When I was about to get out of the car he called me," Eleanora babe listen-."

"Are you allergic to them or something?"

"Nope. Definitely not."

"But- I get it. Its your house. Your rules. But Marmalade could've stayed with me just one night. I was asking for one night. I didn't want you to keep him forever!"

"You gave the cat a name?"

"Yes! You even have a problem with that?" I left him alone in the garage to go upstairs. That cat hater can bring those grocery bags upstairs alone.

I didn't get out until it was time for dinner. At first, I wanted to skip dinner but then I realized I was being too dramatic and not to mention I was very hungry. I got out to see Vincent was cooking shirtless after a long time. Is he trying to kill me?

I tried my best not to ogle him. After taking my dinner I just dashed to my room. He can be mean sometimes but he's good at cooking, I won't deny that.

After having dinner I went to sleep. While I was brushing my teeth I heard the TV outside was still on. That was weird. Usually Vincent would go to bed really early. He doesn't watch TV or play on his Xbox unless its weekend.

I didn't bother myself with that anymore and so I fell asleep.

I woke up in the morning feeling a little less angry towards Vincent. But I was sad that we had to give Marmalade away today.

I woke up to feel something fluffy beside me. I turned around to see Marmalade sleeping beside me. "Marmalade!" I cried out but quietly enough to not wake him up. He looked so cute sleeping. So Vincent went to the restaurant at night to fetch Marmalade for me? I was flattered by the gesture. I got out of the bed to see a note on the side table which was neatly tucked under a book.

I couldn't give away the cat after you had given it a name. Still not a big fan of cats but I hope you take good care of it. -Vincent

I get out from my bed to see his litter box and food bowl on the floor. I was so awed by the gesture. Vincent may seem cold at times but he did have a big heart. And he can be the cutest sometimes. My little crush on him was intensifying which wasn't a good sign though but right now I didn't care.

...