8.2- Kidnappers, Killers and Conspirators

I wiped off sweat from my hands before it made trails on the screen. Several questions flew around my mind. What were these stones? Why did Kaede have one? Would they still go after her again for it? And the rings... the way she'd counted them sounded like they were in limited supply. So a witch wasn't involved to make more.

'Tahro, are you done yet?' whispered Yuuhei. 'I think my belly is hungry enough to eat me.'

His words made me snicker despite my unease. 'Almost, give me five more minutes.'

I flicked to the next page. At this point, it would be wonder if I had any appetite left myself.

Several patrons crowded around tables in a dingy inn. Some gambled cards, throwing coins at the winners and groaning at their loses. Others gossiped with old friends, chortling even at their worst jokes. The noise of many clinking bottles mixed in with chattering voices.

At one end of the bar, sat a lone woman. A hood hid most of her face, and her long hair obscured the rest, as she gazed down at the table. Her dress of dark green had seen better days, with fraying seams and patches. The bartender walked up to her for her order, but she turned him away with a wave of her hand.

Two men made leeway to her table and sat across her. One was tall and broadset. He nodded at the woman, as if she were an old accomplice.The shorter one fidgeted around, not altogether comfortable.

As she looked up at their arrival, her features were revealed. She was in her late thirties, with beauty that hadn't yet faded. But most peculiar were her eyes. They held an uncanny glow like molten gold.

'We have two stones for you,' said the tall man. He lugged out a bag from his pocket and pushed it toward the woman.

With long spindly fingers, she took out its contents. The two stones, no bigger than a bottle cork, glinted in the light of the setting sun. One was as white as falling snow and the other green like a forest foliage.

'Only two? You disappoint me.' she said.

The shorter man huffed. 'It was a miracle to find so many in four months. Especially with the kidnappings. Not that you didn't kn--'

The woman turned to him, as the other man elbowed his side. He squirmed in his seat and glanced at the floor.

'I didn't know, what exactly?'

The tall man sighed. 'There's been a few kidnappings. All of them were children with these stones on heirlooms.' He paused for a moment, second guessing the wisdom of what he was about to ask. 'You wouldn't happen to know anything about them, would you?'

The woman chuckled, a rusty sort of laugh from disuse. 'You think I kidnapped those children? No, tracking down the stones is your job.'

The tall man nodded, a tightness around his eyes fading away. 'And how many more do you need for your end of the bargain?'

For a few seconds, the woman played with the stones on her palm. 'Twenty one perhaps. Or twenty-two?'

After sharing a look, the two men pulled out a silver ring each from their pockets.

'We meet again in four months, yes? Same place and same time?' asked the tall man.

'Yes,' she replied and took the rings. With a glance around at the other patrons, she moved her fingers over the jewelry in a practiced twirl. Moments later, the runes on their surface glowed blue. The lights dimmed away as soon as they appeared.