16

Rosanna had been sitting in the backstage lounge for the entire show, chewing her nails, lost in thought. Katie had offered if she wanted to join her in the wings to watch the boys perform but to her surprise, Rosanna shook her head and said she needed to make a call.

She sat with a long message typed but not yet sent to its recipient, Andy. She knew that being away from him was technically a 'break' but somehow she still felt bound to him, like their wrists were cuffed together and all she wanted was to break free. She didn't want to break up, but she just didn't want him to be her responsibility at the moment.

The anxiety brewing in her stomach the entire show, Rosanna just kept deleting and rewriting her message and then hesitating to send it. She didn't want her hurt Andy's feelings and she was scared that if she told him she needed a break, he would immediately go off with someone else. He's not that type of person. He's not.

She was confused with how she was feeling and pushed all those thoughts to the back of her mind when she heard the band's encore came to an end.

Katie and Jamie came down off the stairs first followed by Nick, then Alex, then Matt.

Rosanna stood up and felt a smile posses her lips as she walked up to them. "How was it?" she asked.

Alex smiled and held up a red rose in one hand, "someone tossed us a rose during one of the songs. 'Y want it?"

He waved it in front of her face and handed it to her making Rosanna roll her eyes and chuckle.

"We're going out for drinks tonight, you wanna come?" Alex asked, walking over to a table and spraying himself with deodorant.

"Oh absolutely," Rosanna replied.

"Fantastic," Alex smiled warmly.

They all headed out to the nearest bar and as they walked, Rosanna felt all her consuming thoughts about Andy leave her mind. Matt ordered everyone a round of shots upon entering the bar.

Alex hated to admit it but, he missed the taste of hard liquor. He told himself he wasn't going to get pissed that night and to limit himself on drinks because so far that strategy had been working for him and prevented him from making any more drunk mistakes. He didn't have anything to get drunk over now, Alexa didn't matter to him anymore. She had become 'just some lover'.

He wasn't going to get drunk over his feelings for Rosanna either. Especially whilst she was with him. He had nothing he wanted to escape so felt no need to drink himself blind anymore.

After downing a few shots, he began to feel the alcohol hit. The night seemed less impossible with every glass lifted to his lips. He ran his fingers through his hair and ordered himself a plain coke once his eyelids started to feel heavy.

  "Feeling it hit you already?" Rosanna teased and sat on the barstool next to him.

  Alex stifled a laugh, "Oh shut up, I can see it in 'yer eyes too Ro."

  "Me?" Rosanna said in faux surprise, deliberately over exaggerated. "If you think I'm the kind of person to get drunk at the first bar on a pub crawl, you don't know me at all Turner."

  Alex laughed to himself and sipped his coke. Whenever Rosanna got tipsy she would become very energetic and giddy. Whereas Alex would slide straight into slow movements and slurring speech mixed with random laughter.

  "Alright," Alex smiled smugly, "let's see who lasts longest then."

  Rosanna smiled, taking up the challenge. "Well it's not gonna be you if you're already on to soft drinks."