Chapter 5

AGH, it feels good to be back! I literally stopped writing for 4 months because I had so much going on in school. Luckily, APs are finished so I'll be editing more regularly now :)

This is just another short chapter, giving a little peek into Olivia's past.

~ ~ ~

"Mom? Mom!" I yelled in panic. "Wake up!" I turned to Matt. "Matt, come on, you have to get out of the car." He didn't wake up. Why wasn't he waking up? Taking his seatbelt off, I pulled him up towards me. The car was on its side and this was the only way we could get out. He was by no means light, but I managed to drag him away from the car.

"Phone, phone, phone. Where's the phone?" I muttered to myself. Finding the phone in Matt's pocket, I turned it on. Immediately calling 911, I waited impatiently for someone to pick up.

"How may I help you?" The person who answered spoke.

"The car crashed. You need to send an ambulance. We're- we're somewhere on Route 22, I don't know where exactly." I ran back over to the car.

"Please stay calm, ma'am. How many people are in the car with you?"

"Three. They're not moving. Please, you need to get here fast." I opened the car door where my mom was sitting.

"Liv? Liv, what's wrong?" I felt someone shaking me.

I woke up with a jolt, only to come face to face with Damon. I looked around, noting that it was still dark. "N-n-nothing. It was just a nightmare." And a memory.

He stared at me for a couple seconds. A small piece of hair fell onto his eyes and I felt a strange urge to push it back. Clenching my fists, I looked away from his heated gaze.

"You hungry?" Damon asked suddenly.

I shrugged, unsure what to say. I hadn't eaten since lunch time.

"Come on," he stood up, taking my hand and pulling me downstairs. I followed quietly behind him.

He opened the refrigerator and pulled out bread. "Can you get out some plates? Top left shelf." I nodded and opened the cabinet. I reached to grab two plates only to realize that I was too short. I jumped up, trying to reach the shelf when I felt someone behind me. 

Damon reached up and grabbed the plates, laughing as I pouted. He made us sandwiches and set them on the counter. I sat down on the stool and he sat down next to me.

"How old are you?" He asked suddenly.

"19," I said. "Almost 20," I added in a hurry in case he started rethinking our deal because I was too young.

He just nodded. "How about you?" I ask curiously. He was definitely older than me, but by how much, I had no idea.

"22," he answered, making me raise an eyebrow. Only 3 years older. He looked way older.

He didn't notice my reaction as he thought of something else. "What are you telling your parents?"

I winced internally. "That won't be an issue," I forced a grin.

He seemed to understand and laid a comforting hand on my back. I flinched away from the sudden contact, but then relaxed. This was nice. Even if it was pretend.

"So what's our story," I asked.

"What?" He seemed confused.

I clarified, "What are we telling your parents? How did we meet and stuff?"

He thought for a second. "Keep it close to the truth. We met at the restaurant where you were a waiter and I was really mean to you at first."

I snickered a little. "That much is definitely true. And then what?"

"I felt bad about it and I came to apologize, even though the restaurant was about to close."

I laughed a little at this. "I couldn't imagine Damon ever apologizing to anyone."

He smirked. "Exactly. So everyone will think it's true love or some bs. And then after that, we'll stick with the real story."

"That you bribed me?"

"No," he glared at me, not liking my choice of words. "About...what happened with your boss," he winced as if he was afraid I was going to break down crying right there.

I tilted my chin up, trying to push away the memory. "So you save me from Mr. Porter, and bring me here?"

He nodded excitedly. "But then when I asked you out, you said no. And you thanked me for helping you and left. But I saw it as a challenge and kept asking you until you said yes."

I laughed. "You sound a bit like a stalker."

He shrugged. "The media will love it."

"Who are you?" I asked. "Like, I mean, why do people care so much about your life?"

Damon's eyes widened. "Don't you ever read the news?"

I shrugged half-heartedly. "Don't get much time." Between work, visiting Matt, and trying to keep up with bills, I didn't have much time to worry about anything else.

"I'm Damon Blackwood, CEO of Blackwood Hotels."

What the-? I was talking to a billionaire right now. "That's you?" I asked incredulously. He smiled a little at my reaction and nodded. I was engaged to a billionaire. "Isn't he an asshole?" I covered my mouth as I realized what I just said. "Sorry," I squeaked.

"That's me," he let out a careless grin.

"Then why are we engaged?" I asked.

He sighed, "You can blame my father for that. He thinks I'm still acting like a child, and I should settle down. He's going to take the company back if I don't. And then I got mad, told him I had a fiance, and everything else was just a ruse to distract the media."

I gaped at him. What even was this guy? "Uh- well, okay. I have to meet him tomorrow?"

"Him and my mom are both coming in the morning. We'll probably still be asleep when they show up," he laughed a little.

He glanced down where my sandwich was finished. "You want another one?" I shook my head and he grabbed both our plates. I went to go wash them when he stopped me. "Liv, the maid will do it tomorrow."

I just nodded numbly and followed him upstairs. Of course. He was rich.

We both got back into bed, me scooching as far to the right as I possibly could. The last thing I felt before I fell asleep was an arm wrapping around me.

~ ~ ~

So a little more background into their personalities and history! This isn't my best chapter, but I have a good idea for where I want this story to go so I didn't spend too much time obsessing over it.

Any suggestions or ideas for what happens next?