Chapter 28

Songs: Come Wake Me Up by Rascal Flatts (recommended), No Air by Jordin Sparks feat. Chris Brown, Need You Now by Lady Antebellum, These Four Walls by Little Mix

America's POV

The plane ride home was long, giving me plenty of time to think.

As I pulled out of the palace driveway earlier, I caught a glimpse of Maxon in the doorway. The expression on his face broke my heart. He'd looked so sad and... scared. It was like he was afraid to be without me. I literally had to bite my tongue to keep myself from telling the driver to turn around. Tears had clouded my eyes and I did my very best to keep them inside, knowing that once I let them out they wouldn't stop coming.

I really hadn't wanted to leave, but there was no other option. It was just too hard to stay there with him. Fighting with him so much was killing me, but I couldn't seem to stop. This was the only way to make it go away. I would rather not talk at all if it meant the fighting would end. It brought out a side of him, and me, that I didn't like.

As I got off the plane and into the car that would take me home, I thought of my parents. How would they react to me showing up, bearing the news of what'd happened? Would they be disappointed? Would they support me?

I stared out the window, taking in my familiar surroundings. I hadn't realized how much I'd wanted to see Carolina again. At the moment, it felt more like home than the palace. I watched as we zoomed past buildings and houses, resting my fingertips against the glass, which was cold from the November frost.

I started to recognize more and more things as time passed. I realized I was only a few minutes away from my house. Despite my sadness, I felt a tiny twinkle of excitement at seeing my family.

The car pulled up in front of my house. I almost smiled as I thought about how it looked exactly the same. One of Gerad's soccer balls was abandoned in the front yard. The tree house was still small and empty. The gardening was tidy and the grass was cut, just the way Mom liked to keep it.

I opened my door, stepping out into the freezing air. I pulled my jacket tighter around me and retrieved my suitcase from the trunk. I started walking up the the path to the front door and the driver started to leave. This was my last chance to change my mind. I could run after the car and have the driver take me back.

I stood there for a moment too long and the car drove off down the road. Now there was no turning back. I finished walking to the door and knocked after a moment. I waited for a minute, but there was no answer. Maybe they weren't home. I knocked again, just in case.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" I heard from inside. The door swung open, revealing my mother. She gasped.

"America?" she asked. At that moment, I felt myself start to crack. My lip quivered and a single tear ran down my cheek. I saw the concern in her eyes.

"Oh, America. Come inside."

I stepped through the doorway, dropping my suitcase, and my mom closed the door before pulling me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around her, burying my face into her shoulder and sobbing. I let out all of the tears I'd been holding back since Maxon and I had started fighting. Mom smoothed my hair and rubbed my back comfortingly.

She called out for my father, "Shalom!" I started sobbing harder at the thought of him seeing me like this. It always made Dad upset to see me cry.

"Shalom!" Mom called even louder than before, obviously wanting some help to calm me down.

Dad ran in, his clothes speckled with partially dry paint. "Magda, is something-" He drifted off when he saw me. His face fell and he came over. I pulled out of Mom's arms and Dad welcomed me into his embrace. I cried into his shirt, feeling all of the pain I'd pushed down in one huge burst.