Eavesdropping

I follow behind Alex to a more private area. My hands were fidgety and I tried my best to calm myself.

"Are you okay?" Alex turned to me and asked.

"I'm fine, thank you."

"Are you sure?"

I furrowed my brows at him. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"You don't look fine," Alex seemed worried.

"How do you mean?"

"Ana, you look like you've lost at least fifteen pounds and you were skinny enough before."

I pinched the palm of my hand to lessen my nerves. "Oh well my modeling agency has been pushing me to lose a few pounds here and there," I lied. I couldn't tell him that my appetite has been obsolete.

"You look tired."

"Wow thank you so much. Every girl loves hearing that."

He gave me a sad smile. "But you still look beautiful as usual."

I was taken back by what he said. I wanted to cry. I wanted him to hug me. I simply just wanted him. But that wasn't going to be reality. "Alex, what did you pull me in here for?"

"I'm getting married," Alex sighed.

"I know," I couldn't seem to look at him in the eyes.

"Jackson?"

I nodded. "Yep."

"I'm sorry."

I gathered all my pride and courage and locked eyes with him. "Alex you have nothing to be sorry about. I'm happy for you, I truly am. I hope Ainsley will make you happy until the end of time. You deserve it." And with that I left and went to the bathroom. I was shaking by the time I got in there.

I looked at myself in the mirror. He was right. I did look tired. My eyes were sunken in and dark circles were present. I sighed heavily and tried to regain control of my emotions. Why is the heart so stubborn? I didn't want to love him.

"You don't love him," I pointed at myself in the mirror. "You're good. Everything is fine. You have moved on with life." I gave myself a nice big smile in the mirror to reassure myself.

I pulled the door open and walked out with my head up. My feet guided me safely back to my table.

"What did he say to you Ana?" Jackson perked as soon as I sat down.

"Not much," I shrugged.

"What do you mean not much? Spill," Cara added.

"Guys, really nothing happened. We just talked business."

"How do you know him Ana?" Jackson questioned.

I took a sip of water and saw that he was very curious. "Just know him from business."

"What kind of business?"

"He was my fiancé," I stated.

I watched as Jackson's eyes grow wide and his mouth gape.

Cara gently slapped his arm. "Close your mouth before a moth flies into it."

"You were Alexander Bentley's?" The shocked Jackson asked.

I shrugged. "I guess so."

"How?"

"What? You don't think I'm good enough for him?" I joked.

"No no no, that's not what I meant," Jackson defended himself. " I'm just shocked you could put up with him."

I shrugged. "He's not so bad."