Realization

October 2012

Arabella filed through her closet, none of the clothes catching her eye or peeking her creativity. Xander had finally talked her into going to her first high school party. She was only two months into her sophomore year and felt it was too soon, but Xander reassured her she would have a great time. She trusted Xan, so she was going to go.

"Arabella!" Celia called from outside her daughter's bedroom before entering. Arabella sighed in frustration, sitting on her bed in hopelessness. "What's wrong?"

"I can't find anything I could turn into a Halloween costume," She responded, keeping her eyes on her lap. Celia shook her head, crossing her arms.

"I can't believe the school is having a Halloween party, talk about using any reason to waste taxpayer money," She frowned in disapproval. The sixteen-year-old pursed her lips, twisting her fingers anxiously. Xander had told her to tell her mother this party was a school function, knowing that the truth would have resulted in Arabella being locked in her bedroom for the evening. "I guess you could use the samples from last summer's shoots. Arabella's eyes lit up excitedly and she hugged her mother tightly.

"Yeah, yeah, I want you home by eleven," Celia laughed halfheartedly, feeling a strange sense of emotional distance from her child, her daughter's happiness not eliciting feelings of motherly love, but of nothing at all. Arabella clambered down the steps of the basement and whipped open totes of samples. A light blue color filled her with the sense of possibility and she ran with it. On her way back upstairs, she plucked a white apron from the kitchen and stumbled up the steps to her room.

Xander lifted a red cup to his lips, the warmth of the alcohol causing him to sigh softly. His eyes peered over the crowded living room, his eyes finding Candace White, her blonde hair bouncing as she danced to the music with her friends. Andy Tomlin threw his arm over Xander's shoulder, pulling him into a side hug.

"Think you're gonna hook up with Candace tonight?" He questioned, taking a drink from his beer.

"We'll see," Xander looked at his watch. Where the hell was Arabella? Andy's twin rounded the corner, his speed causing him to wobble for balance. Xander caught Luke with a chuckle, helping him become steady. "Don't tell me you're drunk already."

"X, have you seen Bella?" Luke sputtered, looking between his brother and friend. Xander's brow furrowed in confusion.

"No, why? Is she here?" Xander shouldered past the boys to find Bee, zig-zagging between tipsy teenagers. A small group of guys from the football team seemed to have gathered in the corner, their full attention on the subject in the middle. As Xander approached the group, one of the boys whispered: "Xander." With the mention of his name, the group parted like the Red Sea.

Xander's mouth went dry.

"Arabella," He choked slightly, his eyes unable to recognize the girl with her back to the wall. Her petite feet were wrapped in the straps of black wedge heels, her long tan legs led up to a baby blue mid-thigh bodycon tank dress; a white apron wrapped snugly around her small waist, a book resting it's pocket. The chocolate colored hair he had watched blow wildly around his best friend since babyhood, was now held back by a matching blue bow. Xander's eyes nearly fell out of his head as he noticed the curve of Arabella's bust, something he had never noticed before. When the hell did she get those?

"Hey, Xanny," Arabella waved shyly, afterall, they had an audience.Xander did the only thing he could think of. He snaked his arm around her waist and pulled them away from the wolves, their hungry eyes trailing after the pair.

"What the hell are you wearing?" Xander growled, leading his best friend to the backyard where they would be alone.

"You told me no kiddy-costumes," Arabella eyed him in confusion. She thought she had done well with the costume considering the short notice.