f o r t y

I HAVE ONLY cried four times in my life

The first time was when I arrived in this world and realized how utterly shit it was. The second was in grade two when I punched a boy for stealing my Fruit Roll Ups, breaking his nose in the process, and bursted into tears when a teacher came near to make it seem like it was his fault...which it was. 

The third was watching the Titanic because that shit hit hard. And the fourth was when I found out my mother was considering death during the worst part of her cancer. 

And god forbid that number rises, because this mascara is too damn expensive to cry.

My mother was getting married and she looked happy. She also looked fucking hot but happy is the more sentimental adjective. David stood beside her, looking as dapper as ever while Pastor John stood between them. 

My mother wasn't religious but definitely a woman of spirituality. David, however, was and hence why this marriage was taking place in the most beautiful church I have ever seen. The soft, midday light was streaking in through the large windows and the open doors allowed the ocean breeze to ripple through softly. 

I sat on the front wooden bench with the two other bridesmaids who have been my mother's best friends since college and Mikey; David's ten year old son. 

He's so freaking adorable and could definitely be my brother with his snarky attitude and sarcastic comments. I may have cursed a few too many times around him and now his favorite word is "fuck." 

Great job Hayden. You will totally nail this whole parenting thing...not. 

"Now, the part which everyone has been waiting for." Pastor John smiles as he straightens his shoulders. He then pauses and his smile falters as he scratches his bald head before whispering to David, "Uh....what am I suppose to say next?"

The crowd laughs lightly in unison as Pastor John laughs, my mother and David both sighing from relief. Mikey wriggles beside me. 

"That wasn't even funny." He whispers as he leans closer to me and tugs the skirt of my dress. I wipe my mouth with my hand to stop the snort urging to burst from my lips. "Why did everyone laugh. Have they're brains been replaced with aliens?" 

"You, mister, are watching too many Sci-Fi movies." I whisper down at him as I nudge him with my elbow, "And it's polite to laugh when someone makes a joke." 

When the hell have I ever lived by that rule? If someone makes a bad joke, not only do I not laugh but I inform them how shit it actually was. I'm just nice like that. 

"Oh." Mikey nods in understanding before proceeding to shout loudly, "HA HA! HA HA! HA!" 

Pastor John pauses half way through his speech as the room falls silent. I glance over my shoulder slightly, noticing everyone in the large hall was staring at us. I mean, the crowd was huge as if the entire town had showed up for this wedding. People were literally standing outside of the door.