12 | The Corruption of Mandalore

The following morning, Dakota emerged from the room that she had spent the night in

The following morning, Dakota emerged from the room that she had spent the night in. Light cut in through the grand windows of the long, open hallway. Her hand ran along each of the perfectly spaced columns that lined the hall. Memories of running around them joyfully, and laughing with her sisters who were unable to keep up with her pace filled her mind. She looked up to see Senator Amidala waiting for her by the door that led to the thrown room "Good morning" she greeted the Jedi warmly.

"Morning, did you sleep well?" Dakota greeted.

"I did, however I didn't see you last night. The Duchess and I waited for you at dinner but you never showed"

"I was sightseeing" Dakota replied smoothly "It's beautiful here, quite unique"

"That it is" Padmé agreed "Anyway, the Duchess and I are preparing to leave for the morning. We are going to visit a newly opened Mandalorian hospital this morning, I trust that you will be joining us oh trusted escort?" she joked.

"At your service" Dakota saluted lazily, falling into step beside Padmé and they walked down through the thrown room to the double doors. The Duchess waited for them outside with the guards "Your majesty" Dakota called.

"I thought Jedi were punctual" Satine responded, still seeming to be frustrated over yesterdays conversation.

"Only when we want to be"

"You kept us waiting-"

Dakota walked passed her towards the transport "Well, I'm waiting on you now, your highness" she said over her shoulder.

"Before we go-" Satine stopped her, coming to stand in front of her with her palm open "Due to the fact that Master Kenobi's visit not too long ago brought a number of destructive circumstances, it's been decided that no off-worlders are permitted to carry weapons in our city" She wiggled her fingers as she waited for the double-bladed saber.

"So, Obi-wan caused trouble and I wasn't able to witness it?" Dakota asked in mock disbelief as she willingly dropped her saber into her palm. As Satine passed on the saber to the guard standing beside her, her icy blue eyes caught the slim necklace that was wrapped around the handle. Dakota saw her looking at it, not uttering a word on the matter.

The three of them boarded the transport which flew them across the city to their destination. Dakota leaned against the armrest of her seat, staring out to the buildings that flew past them "We missed you at dinner" Satine pointed out randomly.

"Yes, your highness, I'm aware"

"Where were you?"