v. the prodigal

As I'm sure you've noticed, Wattpad had a glitch where users did not receive any update notifications. So you might not have seen where I published a new chapter last week.

If you didn't see it, be sure to read the previous chapter "The Defiance" now!

A M O R A

Amora opened her eyes to see the inside of a ship and gave a sigh of relief.

It worked. This was certainly not her first time projecting her consciousness elsewhere, but she had never done it from Yggdrasil before. And she had never projected herself onto a moving ship.

Although, Amora's smile disappeared as soon as a blade appeared at her throat.

"How did you get on my ship?" a low voice asked.

Amora raised her hands as Nebula circled around her. She glanced around the ship. It was clear that the blue assassin was no longer with Thanos. This ship was old, hardly something that would be in the Titan's fleet.

"I'm not...actually here," Amora said carefully.

"What are you talking about?"

Amora inched her hand closer to the blade pointed at her neck. Nebula started to flinch away, but she stopped when Amora's hand only passed through it.

Nebula lowered her blade and regarded her with narrowed eyes. "You're Asgardian."

"Yes. My name is Amora." She lowered her hands. "I'm a witch."

Witch. Her own word surprised Amora. She had always hated it, never using it willingly.

Perhaps that was what she really was now.

A flicker of recognition flashed across Nebula's face, and her grip on her weapon tightened. "You're the one that Thanos sent us to retrieve years ago."

"Yes, but I'm not here to hurt you," Amora said quickly.

Nebula huffed our a short laugh. "You couldn't if you tried."

Amora pressed her lips together. This one was certainly difficult to reason with. Although, she supposed this was better than being killed.

"I need your help."

"What makes you think I'd help you?" Nebula scoffed. "What would you need my help with?"

"Killing Thanos."

Nebula straightened. Her black eyes scanned Amora's face before relaxing.

"You will not kill Thanos," Nebula spoke, "I will kill Thanos. I swore that I would hunt my father down like a dog, and that is what I intend to do."

Amora smiled. "That's why I'm here."

The corner of Nebula's lip twitched up. Amora started to sit down, but stopped. She was just a projection; she would probably pass through the seat if she tried.

Instead, Amora just folded her hands in front of herself. "This is hard to explain, but I've been staying with ancient witches that...shape fate. Your fate and Thanos's fate are tightly intertwined."

"That's no surprise." Nebula crossed her arms and glanced away. "Does that mean I'll die with him?"

"No." Amora's eyes widened. "No, it just means that you can influence his fate...and he can influence yours."

"So that means I can kill him."

"Possibly."

Nebula nodded, taking in the sorceress's words. "I will," she said firmly.