Unpleasantville

"I can't believe your adopted." Bonnie says as I sit down on the chair at Elena, Bonnie and Jo's table. I'm working but I have 5 minutes left of my break.
    "I never saw that coming." Jo says.
   "It gets even weirder." I say.
  "I looked at my birth certificate. It list Miranda and Grayson Gilbert as my birth parents. None of it makes any sense."  Elena tells them.
   "Yeah, and what I don't get is why would they raise me knowing I was adopted but keep your adoption a secret?" I ask her.
   "I don't know, maybe because I was old enough to remember mom not being pregnant, or because Jer and you were the same age."She offers.
    "Which is why you should both ask Jenna." Bonnie tells us and Elena groans. "First of all the Elena I know would always want the truth, good or bad." Bonnie tells her.
    "Hey, Gilbert! Your break is over." My manager calls.
    "It's okay, I have to get going anyways." Jo tells me and I give her a smile and get up to get back to work.
    "I'll see you at home Elena." I tell her.
   "Okay, don't forget the dance is tonight." She tells me.
   "How could I?" I ask her and go to another table to take their order.

                                ▫️▫️▫️

    "Spoke to the insurance company. Car's totaled. You can keep using mine or Phoebe's for now." Jenna tells us as Elena and I stand in the kitchen.
    "So you're coming to the dance?" Elena asks.
   "Alaric asked me to help chaperone." Tells us happily.
   "Why didn't you tell me, Jenna?" Elena asks her.
   "Well I should go change." I say but Elena grabs my arm before I can leave. "Or not."
   "Your mom was gonna do it eventually. I never thought I'd have to."  Jenna tells us.
   "If our mom were here right now, and I asked, she would tell me the truth." Elena tells us and Jenna sighs.
   "Your dad was about to leave the office one night when this girl showed up. She was 16, a runaway, and about to give birth. He delivered her baby, and he gave her a place to stay, but a few days later, she disappeared. And there you were. Your parents were trying so hard to have a baby. I-it just wasn't happening. All Miranda ever wanted was to be a mom." Jenna explains.
   "Well why were my parents' names on the birth certificate?" Elena asks her and I take her hand in mine.
   "Your dad was a doctor Elena. He took care of it. They didn't want to lose you, so they kept it quite, told as few people as possible, but if anyone ever wanted proof, they had documentation."
   "What else do you know about her? The girl." Elena asks.
   "Just her name. Isobel. There's also a little more." She says looking at me.
  "What is it?" I ask her.
  "The other day when we were talking about your birth parents. I didn't tell you everything. A few years later you were left on their doorstep. They couldn't help but wonder why their doorstep. So they had a DNA test run between you and Elena. You guys share part of the same DNA, you guys have the same mom, bu different dads." She tells us and Elena and I look at each other.

                                ▫️▫️▫️

I'm downstairs waiting for Elena to finish up getting ready.
    "Phoebe? Jeremy? Jenna?" she calls down the stairs.
    "I'm downstairs whenever your ready." I call back and I few seconds later she's running down the stairs on the phone.
    "Thank god, Stefan and Hunter must be here." She says over the phone and turns back to me after hanging up but suddenly I'm thrown into the wall and everything goes black.

I wake up to four voices talking. I get up but my head suddenly hurts like a bitch. I feel a hand on the back of my head and someone helps me sit up. I look around and Damon, Stefan, Hunter and Elena are all looking at me.
    "Hey, Baby Gilbert, how do you feel?" Damon asks me.
    "I, uh, what happened?" I ask them.
    "What's the last thing you remember?" Hunter asks me.
    "I was waiting down here for Elena and then she came downstairs on the phone, with Damon I think, and then..." I trail off. "Oh my god, someone was in the house, they knocked me out. Elena are you okay?" I ask her.
    "I'm fine. They showed up and I guess other people here scared him off. It's okay, he won't be coming back." She tells me and I nod.
    "Well, we have a dance to get to. Let's go." I tell them and get up and make my way to the door.
    "Phoebe, maybe you should stay back, I mean you might have a concussion." He tells me.
    "Hunter, I'm fine, let's just go to this stupid dance." I tel him and grab my coat and walk out to the car.

Bonnie and Caroline meet up with Elena and I at one of the tables at the dance.
    "Having fun?" Elena asks them.
    "No, but this took about two hours, so I'm at least staying for half of that." Caroline tells us and we all laugh.
    "What's Damon doing here?" Bonnie asks looking behind us at Hunter, Stefan and Damon.
    "He wanted to come. I promise, he'll behave." Elena tells them.
    "So what is this, like, a threesome now, you and the Salvatore brothers? Except for Hunter obvs." She says looking at me.
     "No, but if I'm gonna be with Stefan than I have to learn to tolerate Damon." Elena tells them. "It's not like I can kill him." She adds in.
     "There's a thought." Bonnie says.
    "Mmm. I'll help." Caroline adds.
    "I mean, he doesn't seem too bad. A little annoying but not a terrible guy." I tell them and then I feel someone grab my hand and turn me around, dragging me to the dance floor. I see it's Hunter and smile at him. "And here I thought I'd have to beg you to dance with me." I joke with him.
    "I figured after earlier you could use a pick me up." He tells me and spins me.
    "You mean the earlier where you wanted me to cower in fear and stay home?" I ask him.
    "Okay, I get it, you don't cower." He says putting his hands up in surrender.
    "No, I do not." I say and wrap my arms around his neck. "Now, subject change."
    "With all the drama did I ever tell you how beautiful you look tonight?" He asks me making me smile and put my head on his chest.
    "No you didn't." I say as I blush.
   "Well you look absolutely gorgeous." He tells me and kisses the top of my head.
   "You don't look to bad yourself." I say and look up at him.
    "Now about that subject change, what's this I hear about Elena being adopted?" He asks.
    "Oh yeah. This women, Isobel, had the baby here and left it with our parents. They put on the birth certificate that they had her. Here's the even bugger kicker, we share the same mom. Different dads but Isobel is also my mom. Isn't that crazy?" I ask him.
    "Very, did Jenna tell you all that?" He asks me.
    "Yep, she doesn't know anymore but she said she'd look more into it if we wanted." I tell him.
    "Do you want her too?"
    "Elena does, I'm not sure if I want to know them. I mean they gave me up. But at the same time, I don't know why they gave me up so I want some answers." I tell him.
     "Do you want to get out of here? Maybe get some food at the grill?" He asks me.
     "Sure, let me just tell Elena." I say.
     "Just text her from the car." He tells me and drags me off.
    "Um, okay." I say as we reach the parking lot.

We pull up to my house after the grill. We had some food and then headed back to my house.
"Wanna come inside? Promise you don't have to go through the window." I tell him and he laughs.
"Yeah, I'll come inside." He tells me with a smile.