Chapter 30: The last day at the hunting party

Riley

Riley

The dress made me feel so pretty that I just had to twirl a few times, or as Ru Paul would say it, I was giving nymph, fairy, ice princess realness.

I left Edna and Agnes to do the packing and went downstairs. Today, the entire party was being taken deeper into the Von Esterheim property, the whole party of about seventy people were going to be driven in carriages to the hunting grounds just at the edge of the forest, and everyone would take part in shooting and hunting. Then later there was meant to be a little magic display. Since the party would only end late that night everyone had the option of either sleeping over and then leaving the following morning, or just leaving late at night when the party was over. I was really starting to feel homesick, and I was itching to go and cuddle Sophie, so I decided that I would leave after the party was done.

I walked down the white marble corridors and passed by the massive rooms on my way down to the front entrance of the Manor. When I got outside there were lines and lines of white-painted carriages accompanied by huge and gallant looking horses. Their hooves knocked the ground and they neighed loudly, they seemed excited for the journey, almost itching to take off into a gallop but the sharply dressed butlers beside them were having none of it and settled them by pulling on their reins.

Some of the guests were already getting into their carriages, I stood their awkwardly for a moment not sure if I could just step into one of the carriages myself, but then I saw Arcadia popping her head out of one of the carriages and waving me over. I happily skipped over to her and was helped into her carriage by one of the butlers.

"Good morning!" I chimed at her as I took a seat beside her.

"Morning." She said back brightly. "Thank you for riding with me, if it wasn't for you I would have to go alone." She said cheerfully.

"Alone? Aren't your parents here with you?" I asked, knowing that all the nobles had come in families, and only I had come alone.

"No, unfortunately, my mother and father are attending a conference in Astonia and could not attend, so I came by myself."

I recognised the name 'Astonia' as the name of one of the other four Great Kingdoms, it was meant to be the most intellectual of all the kingdoms

"Wow, what kind of conference are they attending?" I asked curiously wondering what Girannon nobles were doing in Astonia.

"My parents are scholars and thus study and read a lot of literature as well as more academic magical studies. Our family business is one of printing. We make and sell books and we own most of the libraries and bookstores in Gismead..." She explained.

I was already pretty impressed by the massive business conglomerate she was describing to me. "Apparently some alchemists in Astonia have created a new kind of paper that is much lighter and much finer than what is currently on the market, so my parents have gone to review it and see if it is worth investing in and importing into Gismead."