16 | New Friends

1 6
New Friends

Jalen does half of what I wanted. He drives me home, but the words apology accepted still aren't said. Nothing's said at all. It's unbearably silent between us.

"I can practically see the curiosity in your fucking eyes."

I shove the helmet into his awaiting hands. "Can you blame me? I mean, honestly, what the fuck just happened, Jalen?"

He gives a one shoulder shrug, remaining seated on his bike, ready to take off any second. I purposely step in front of his path.

If he wants to get away, he's gotta run me over.

"Who was that guy?" I decide is the safest thing to ask.

"Don't worry about it," he shrugs off.

"I didn't say I was worried," I reply, though I can't deny the nervousness I felt as Jalen zoomed off as quick as possible just to avoid whoever that was. "I just want to know who we were running from."

"We didn't run from anybody," he counters.

"No? So, you just ran three red lights for fun?" I ask in a dry tone.

He nods. "I run red lights all the time, actually."

"Of course you do." I roll my eyes and fold my arms. "But, seriously, what just happened? Why were you at a law firm, again?"

Jalen lets out a quick laugh of disbelief. "You're really something else. You beg me to talk to you. Make me feel bad for not having the time too. And then, when I'm almost late to a meeting because I had to bring you with me so you wouldn't fucking cry, you turn it into an investigation."

My fists clench at his tone, and at his words. For someone who doesn't want to be pitied or felt sorry for, he sure as hell has no problem making me feel that way.

"I'm not turning anything into an investigation," I grind out through clenched teeth. "I'm just asking questions."

"That's all you fucking do. Ask me question, after question, after question," he drags out in an exasperated tone.

"Well, stop being so goddamn shady and I won't have too!"

"Why can't you just learn to mind your business?"

I step back onto the curb, no longer blocking his path to leave. "To quote your lovely words from the other day, fuck you."

Jalen brings his hands up to his face, letting them rub over his eyes, before dragging them down, until they land on the front fork of his motorcycle. "I shouldn't have said that to you."

I examine him after he speaks, noticing just how exhausted he looks. "Is that an apology...?"

He gives me another tired look. "Was what you said earlier an apology?"

My jaw drops. "You're not sure if it was? What, me saying sorry a bunch of times didn't register with you?"

"It didn't really sound sincere," he says with a laugh, but I can't tell if there's any humor behind it.

"For fuck's sake," I groan. "I'm sorry for calling you stupid, Jalen. It will not happen again. But I am not sorry for calling you an asshole."

Jalen tilts his head to the side, like a puppy. "When did you call me an asshole?"

"Oh, must've only said that in my head. Never mind."

Jalen's blue eyes roll at my words, but it's obvious that whatever tension and annoyance that was building up between us seconds ago is gone.