1 Year Before

I stared out the window next to me, holding the white mocha I'd forgotten I had. As the rain poured down, I tried to think about how I'd gotten here.

How had I done this? Was it too late to go back? If I apologized, maybe they would let me. I hadn't meant to leave, not yet.

But then the shouts rang through my memory like gunshots, and without meaning to I cringe back from the window, as though the person shouting in my head were outside.

My phone rings, and out of habit I look to see who's calling.

It's Emily, my best friend.

I stare at the screen for a moment before answering.

She was already taking before I could get the phone to my ear.

"... the heck are you? Your parents are looking for you! They calledmetotallyfreakedoutandsaidthatyouweren'tansweringyourphone!!"

"Emily." I interrupted her quietly. "I'm fine."

In the silence that followed I heard an explosion from the phone of the lone barista, my only physically present 'companion'.

"Oh. My. Gosh. You didn't." Emily finally put the pieces together.

"Yeah, I did."

"Wow. I thought you were going to hold out a little longer?"

I stared at the mocha. I should drink it before it gets cold.

"I thought so too." Was all I said.

"Want to talk about it? Or should I just come pick you up?"

Ah, Emily. Ever a considerate friend.

"Thanks, Em, but I need some time to myself. I'll find a place to stay."

"If you're sure then..."

I was silent. She'd never believe that this was my fault.

"I'll call later, ok?"

I surprised both of us by saying "How about breakfast tomorrow?"

"Ok. Usual place?"

"Yeah. Or no, let's do Ihop instead."

"I'm still getting waffles."

"Um, duh! You're the Queen of waffles girl." I tried to be light hearted. She didn't deserve to have to deal with this on her Sunday night.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow then. Breakfast is my treat."

"... We'll see about that."

"Goodnight, don't even think about paying tomorrow, and make sure to get some sleep tonight."

"Good night."

She hung up, and I was staring at an empty screen again.

I looked back out the window, but I couldn't collect my thoughts.

I sighed and pulled up YouTube. May as well enjoy the free WiFi.

I tapped something random into the search bar and started scrolling through the results. As long as I didn't see anything dirty, I didn't really care what popped up.

This video caught my eye.

I wasn't normally a big fan of music videos, but this one seemed unique. There was an almost tactical look to it.

So I checked it out. The video was cool, and the beat! I really wanted to know what they were saying, so I turned on the subtitles and watched it again.

I was crying by the end of the video. Had this song been written for me?

Suddenly I understood. It wasn't my fault that I wanted away from my controlling parents. It wasn't my fault I wanted more from my life than a job that made good money. And it wasn't my fault I had a dream I wanted to fulfill.

I found myself smiling. Who were these guys?

I went to their channel, and you know what? I got hotel room a few hours later, but I didn't get any sleep.

The self confidence I got instead was more than enough compensation.

When I met Emily for breakfast the next morning, she was really worried.

"You ok?" She studied me carefully.

"Actually, I'm doing great!" I smiled brightly.

She blinked at me, surprised, then looked again.

"You didn't sleep last night, but you're doing a lot better than I expected after last night.
So give. What happened?"

I just grinned. "I'll tell you while we eat."

So, hello all! This is my first time writing on Wattpad, I hope you'll enjoy it! I promise to update whenever I can!