Chapter 33

After the funhouse, I was exhausted, out like a light. I couldn't stand, I couldn't walk. I couldn't even keep my eyes open for a couple of seconds. My eyelids were half closed, dying to shut. Thinking about it, I could really use another nap. I was that tired. Thanks to Momma Beer. She wore me and Oscar out. Here we were, sitting on the stools, our backs slouched over, my head buried in my folded arms on top of the countertop, Oscar's cheek laying on his knuckles, but keeping up with everything Momma Beer was saying.

I think we were talking about how Momma Beer won the jackpot. She wouldn't tell us how much or maybe Oscar didn't ask. I was tired, to be honest. She had enough to hand over some to Kash's family and still had plenty. He would nod, would reply when he thought he had too. I moaned my replies when Momma Beer didn't take my silence for an answer; Oscar giving my back a pat. Why wasn't Momma Beer as tired as we were? The only exhaustion evidence on her was her hair, couple strands of it hanging from her tight bun she made early in the morning, making it look like an upside-down mop.

"...it was so unexpected." She was between bites of a vanilla ice cream. Yes, we were snacking on cookies with a side of ice cream. "I felt like Charlie when he found out he won the golden ticket." She licked the ice cream off her wrist that had dropped its way there. "My story was actually like his. I was even in the paper. Mm. This ice cream's delicious." Momma Beer looked up. "Thanks, Lillian!" she shouted. I cringed.

Meanwhile, Lillian was somewhere snoring off her night shift.

Oscar, nodding to the news, answered in the most groggily voice over. I wanted to slap myself for finding it attractive but I was too tired. "Ohhh, yeah. I read about that in the paper." My head, on its own shot up, whirling to look at him. My tired, red eyes awakening.

"You read the paper?" I asked him with intrigue laced in my voice. Why that came to a shock to me, I don't know. I mean, who reads the newspapers these days let alone, a young man like Oscar. No judgment there though. I was only curious.

That's when it dawned on me. I've haven't been curious about someone in a really...long time. The recognition must've appeared on my face because Oscar nudged me softly with his shoulder, concern glinting in his eyes.

"Something wrong?"

Momma Beer was also looking at me from behind the counter where she stood with a cookie paused halfway in her mouth. I blinked to pop back to reality, straightening my back and feeling my muscles groan, me wanting to voice out the soreness, but deciding against it.

"No," I yawned, sliding my arms off the countertop, replacing it with my left elbow to lay my head on my fingers. "I was...just wondering."

"Oh." Oscar did exactly what I decided against doing. He groaned as his muscles protested when he straightened and stretched his back and arms. "But, yeah, I do read the paper."

Those sounds were too pleasant to my ears and enough to get my blood pumping fast to my fair-complexioned face. Oh, my God... I plopped my face onto the countertop. Oscar rose a brow at the girl's action. Momma Beer reached across the counter to place a hand on my arm. She was the one to speak up.

"You alright?"

I'm surprised I came up with something quick instead of stammering like a blubbering fish. I assured, "Nothing. I'm fine. Just a brain freeze." Thank God for ice cream. Without it, this lie would've been a fail.

"But you barely touched your bowl," Oscar said and to my luck (sarcasm) touched the lower part of my back with his hand. Feeling the soft skin of his palm on my spine sent a pleasant chill crawling up my spine, again making me straighten up. I sucked in a breath barely able to relax. That was it. I couldn't tolerate the feeling anymore. I didn't know what was wrong with me.