10 || You Don't Want the World to Know

"The war on drugs is essentially a war on Black Americans. Black people, at every single stage of the judicial process in the justice system, experience discrimination. We are more likely to be targeted, stopped, searched, arrested, charged, convicted and receive some of the worst sentences. We see this more often than not with drug law violations. Now, I haven't quite done my research on this particular point but I can guarantee you that a large percentage of Black Americans have criminal convictions or are serving felony sentences for nonviolent offenses. We are stripped from our families. We are forced to grow up in one parent households. And then our children become a product of their environment. It is a never ending cycle created by the white man and his war on drugs.

Now some may argue, these numbers are decreasing. They are right. However, it's not enough. These numbers are decreasing at a fast rate for white americans. In fact, the percentages are dropping twice as fast for White Americans than Black Americans and that my friend, is not enough."

"Well the decrease shows some sort of initiative. We all know, Ms. Jones, that it won't happen now. Everything takes time. But it's evident that the problem is being resolved." Casey's co-panelist interrupted.

"Resolved? Whew, Chile you are so lost. Let me explain something to you. The problem is far from resolved. Why is it that it works fast for you, Mr. Massey, but not for me and my people? It always works fast for you all. My people are always told to wait. We are always sold broken promises. Whatever you all think we want to hear, you say in hopes it will shut us up and prolong the fight a little while longer."

"We all know patience is a virtue Ms. Jones. What more do you want?" He interrupted again.

"My forty acres and a fucking mule Jim." Casey said softly but with a death glare.

"CUT! Okay. Let's get ourselves together and reconvene in 15?" The director cut the tension with his words hoping a break would cease the fire. Casey was on set for four hours doing retakes of this panel. The topic was "Racial Disparities in the Justice System". There were four white men on the panel and Casey. She wasn't sure what they thought they would get today but judging by the time and numerous retakes, they definitely weren't expecting Casey. At this point, she was fed up and tired of wasting time and energy on four white bigots who would never understand.

"Nope. That's it for me. You can wrap this up without me. I have somewhere to be in a little over three hours. Have a good one." Casey said as she took her mic off without giving them the pleasure of eye contact or even a head nod. G and Mac, who joined her on set today, were not too far behind.

"You need anything?" Mac asked.

"No. Grab all of my shit out of that 6 x 4 that they call a dressing room and meet me in the car before I lose my fucking mind." Casey said without stopping her stride to her car. The game was in a few hours away and although she knew this would cause a few issues with Gabe, she told Brandon she would be there and she was a woman of her word. Besides, after this morning, she needed a break.

After grabbing her belongings and meeting her in the car, Mac drove them all to Casey's house. Casey expressed her need and desire for a nap. They decided to smoke a little before departing ways. Neither of them aware of Casey's plans tonight.

"I'm about to slide to the spot to meet O. You sliding?" G asked. Because everyone called him G and were starting to call Gabe G as well, G referred to Gabe as O, not wanting to get the two confused. Garry Ellis Gregory was his government name and only a few knew. His brother, Makel Liam Gregory, was who everyone knew as Mac.

"Yeah let's move." Mac said following behind and locking Casey's door. He hopped in the passenger seat and enjoyed the peaceful, silent ride to their destination. This was often how it was between the two. Neither needing a reason to speak because they understood each other. Their bond was that strong. They often knew what the other was feeling or thinking just based off the vibes they were receiving. Thus, words were hardly ever needed.