Chapter Sixty-One

Songs for this chapter:
• God is a woman - Ariana Grande

Chapter Sixty-One:

"You're nearly a foot taller than me. These are way too big for me," I say, holding a pair of Bryce's sweatpants in my hands.

"Well, it's either this or you freeze to death. I would prefer if you were still alive by the end of the night, so please just put the pants on," Bryce says, leaning against the side of the car.

My eyes narrow at him, but I reluctantly pull the sweatpants up my legs. Sure enough, they're way too big for me, and I have to roll them up a couple times at the waist.

I feel Bryce's eyes on me the whole time, a cocky smile on his face. I stick my tongue out at him before grabbing his hand and dragging him towards the start of the trail.

"Feisty. I like it," Bryce grins, and I nudge him in the arm a little bit.

We're probably crazy for walking around at night like this, but it's also kind of refreshing.

He pulls his hand away from mine, and I'm confused for a second until he snakes his arm around my waist instead.

When I look up to stare at him, he's still gazing straight ahead at the trail in front of us as we continue to walk.

"Bryce? Why weren't you asleep? You're even still wearing the clothes you wore to school today," I say, looking down as his black jeans and sweatshirt.

"My dad and I were starting to look at apartments for me. I'm pretty sure he would bet his life on me getting into Columbia," Bryce snorts, finally stopping walking for a minute.

He tilts his chin down so that I can look into his eyes, and I bite my lip carefully.

"I would too. There's no way that you won't be accepted. We should be worrying about me and Juilliard," I say, and just like that Bryce presses his lips against mine.

I feel my heart racing straight away, and it makes everything in the world seem right.

It hurts to know that in a few months time, I may lose this feeling, but for now I'm going to enjoy it.

I'm the one to break the kiss, and when I pull back, Bryce's eyes are wild.

"I have faith in you," is all he says to me, before continuing to walk as he holds me close to his side.

Neither of us saying anything else as we head to who knows where. We end up exiting the area of trees, opening up into a grassy clearing looking out onto the ocean. We take a few steps farther towards the water before Bryce sits down on the soft grass, taking me with him.

Despite it being the middle of winter, there's no snow on the grass for some reason. Bryce is still insistent on pulling me into his lap, wrapping his body around me to keep me warm. He presses his face to the crook of my neck, leaving a lingering kiss there before he pulls away.

I look up at him, tilting my head up, and Bryce looks down at me with his eyebrows furrowed.

"What's on your mind, Blossom?" Bryce asks me, and I feel my breath catch in my throat.

"It's fine," I say quietly, but Bryce suddenly presses a long finger across my lips.

"Don't lie to me, darling. I know you better than that. Did I do something wrong?" Bryce then replies, and I try to angle my face away from his.

It doesn't work, and the intensity of his gaze is too much for me right now.

"I'm sorry for ruining tonight. I'm just prone to overthinking things. I've already fallen so deeply in love with you and we've only been together for a week. It's worrying me that I don't know what my future is going to look like still, and I guess I'm just freaking out over nothing," I whisper, tears pricking my eyes.