Running; Surviving

(Author's Note): Hello all! I just wanted to take a moment to thank you all for your patience and support. I'm synonymous with inconsistency at this point but you all help to motivate me to write. This is a rewrite of my original AoT fic, I feel I have gotten way better at writing since I started the first one so I wanted to give this a try. Also this will have genderbends (thanks FriedaIsBestGirl for the idea!) so if that's not your cup of tea, I respect that but you may want to steer clear. Thank you all so much, I hope you enjoy! ❤️

*Pant* *Pant* *Pant*

     ??????: HEY YOU! Get back here with that food you filthy hybrid brat!

*Pant* *Pant* *Pant*

It was another rainy afternoon in the Liberio Internment Zone. Dark clouds, lots of thunder, cold air with a wind that chilled to the bone. I loved it though. There was just something about the rain that was refreshing to me. At least it would be; if I wasn't currently being chased by Marleyan soldiers.

     My name is (Y/n) (L/n) and I'm currently running from the Marleyan military authorities in Liberio. I'm eleven years old and have lived on my own ever since my parents traded me into the Warrior Program so they could become "True Citizens". That was back when I was only five years old. Out of all of my siblings, they gave me away.

The training was savage. Ranging from excruciating on good days, to absolutely bone crushing on bad ones. It wasn't all bad though...I learned how to fight well and even made a friend! A wonderful and beautiful girl named Pieck.

     We first met when running laps through the course. She had twisted her ankle pretty badly but I wrapped it up for her with a torn piece of my uniform coat. Got whipped pretty hard for damaging the uniform but it was worth it to meet her. After that when I would have cleaning duty (a punishment I endured regularly for not being subservient enough to that bastard Magath or the other drill sergeants) she would sneak me food from the mess hall and we'd study our textbooks together. She was very dedicated to becoming a warrior.

Unfortunately...while I was good in the field and in combat training, I was deemed "insufficient" because again; I wasn't obedient enough. They removed me from the warrior program but still kept me around to cook, clean, maintain the crops, making sure the trainees get their food on time three times a day, cleaning up after the trainees and even the soldiers themselves. It's gotten even more brutal recently since everyone is celebrating the Grand Festival; an event that is held so Marley's military can cozy up even more to the nobility. It would have been agonizing, if not for Pieck and a man named "Xaver".

I didn't know much about him, beyond him being a wielder of one of the titan powers. He saw me scrubbing the mess hall once and walked over to me, asking if I was one of the warrior candidates. I think he knew the answer but was just merely trying to start a conversation. I told him not anymore and why; expecting a lecture... but he merely smiled and took a seat. He was very friendly and smart. He started tutoring me after that, teaching me how to read and write better and more efficiently than I had before and even taught me many things about the titan powers that the warriors inherit! Like their weak spot, their regeneration, several of the shifters, and the curse that afflicted them. He told me of six of the shifters out of nine. The Beast, Armored, Female, Colossal, Jaws, and Cart; telling me afterwards that there were three others that he wasn't allowed to talk about. He never told me which titan he was, just that it wasn't very useful in war on the battlefield. I never asked for specifics though; I was scared it would come off as rude to someone who had been so nice to me. He told me I reminded him of someone he played catch with, he said it genuinely so I took that as a compliment.