Chapter 29

I laid down beside my mate, exhausted. It had been two days after the introduction to the pack and making myself known as the new Luna, and tomorrow was the day I was having to contact everyone and present myself as the new queen. And, I had no idea if I was ready to face the clans that might not accept me as their new queen.

Brody stirred and pulled me into his arms. "You're late," he mumbled sleepily, opening his eyes. He studied me with those blue eyes of his, and I could see such devotion in them that it surprised me. "Are you ok?" he asked, furrowing his brows.

I didn't reply as I stared at the male before me. The urge to mark him was strong, and I knew that one of the reasons why was because I was in love with him. I was absolutely in love with this man, and it scared me to no end.

"Kat?" Brody asked. He reached around me and turned on the light, chasing the darkness and my urges away. "Look at me," he said, panicking because I didn't answer but buried my face into the pillow, feeling guilty. He placed his hand on my shoulder and gently pushed me back until I faced him.

"I want to mark you," I blurted out. I cleared my throat and blushed, looking away. "Sorry, I shouldn't have said that," I said. I placed my hands on my cheeks and groaned. "It just came out."

Brody was silent and stared at me with wide eyes. He cleared his mouth and shifted in his seat before he gently grabbed my chin and made me look at him. "I want to mark you, too," he admitted. "My Wolf had been begging me to, but I didn't want to rush you."

I smiled at him and slowly nodded my head. I could feel my tiger spirit stir and knew that she was impatient too.

She wanted to claim him as her own and wouldn't care if she had to take control to get what she wanted. A satisfied growl came out of her lips, and I knew she was ready to do it.

"So, do you want to mark each other?" Brody asked. "We can wait for mating later. I think you want Romanov before you do think about that." He gave me a pointed look, and I nodded my head, feeling relieved.

"Yes," I said. "I think it will have people accept you as their king because they will know that I accept you as my mate."

Brody nodded his head. "So, you mark me, and I mark you, fair?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. "And then we sleep because you have been busy preparing for tomorrow."

I groaned and placed my head in the crook between his shoulder blade and his neck. "Don't remind me," I mumbled, taking in his comforting scent. "I can't believe I am actually doing it."

Brody chuckled and placed his chin on my head. "You will do amazing," he said. He placed a soft kiss on my head and cleared his throat. "So," he began.

I lifted my head and stared at him. "So?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Are you ready?" He stared at me with those intensely blue eyes of his, and it took my breath away. "We don't have to do it."

I didn't reply and slowly leaned in before placing a kiss on his lips. "I am ready," I whispered, pulling away. "I want to be yours."

And with, we marked each other as ours. No one could take us away from each other, only death.

***

The next day's morning and afternoon were hectic, with me running around and preparing for when the sun was supposed to set. That was when we were going to a spot that Carver had found to contact all clans and see who would accept me as their High Queen and who wouldn't.

I didn't tell Carver this, but I was planning to ask for permission only to lead during the battle and claim my birthright after the battle had finished. Not only did I have to prove to them that I would be able to lead, but I also had to prove to myself because I felt unworthy for such a high position and very unprepared.

King Paul stayed the night of the introduction but left the following day. He came back the day of the event for moral support and gave me guidance about what to expect in becoming High Queen, and for that, I was grateful.

Unfortunately, he seemed highly suspicious of me as if he knew the thoughts going around in my brain. He didn't question me about these certain thoughts and didn't tell Carver about them. However, he told me about his experience becoming king at the age of nineteen, and like me, he had felt like someone else would have been better at the job than him.

That made me respect him even more. Not only did he have to take charge of his kingdom, but he also had to raise the three other children that his parents had left behind. He became a fair and just leader to his people, respected by all that knew him, and I hoped that I would be just like him once I took the throne.

That conversation lasted the rest of the time before Brody, Carver, Trevor, Arabella, and I had to leave before the sun started to set. We made it to the area Carver had picked out, and as soon as we got there, I understood why.

The area we were in was in a densely forested area on three sides with an outcropping of rocks on the other. In the middle of this was a clearing, which we were standing in, waiting for the sun to directly reach the stone.

All of us were silent as we waited; all of us lost in our own thoughts.

I stood to a little to everyone's left in a small dirt area, practicing the incantation and creating the symbol in the dirt before scratching it out.

Finally, Carver moved towards my side and watched as made the symbol. He stopped me from scratching it out by placing a hand on my shoulder. "You have it down," he said finally. "You don't need to practice again."

I furrowed brows and looked at him. "What if I do it wrong?" I asked. "When it actually matters? I could potentially send a beacon out to Romanov and have him know where I am at."

"I don't think that will happen, Kat," he said. "You have been doing well with your studies, and it has shown. They will accept you as their leader." He studied me, and I made sure that he couldn't read what I was actually thinking.

Trevor cleared his throat, interrupting the staring contest as we looked at him. His face was blank, but I could tell that he was anxious, anxious about facing the people we once knew. "It's almost time," he said. "The sun is close."

Taking in a deep breath, I nodded my head and released it with a soft whoosh, hoping that it would take away the anxiety I felt. "Ok," I said finally. "Let's get this done."

Carver placed his arm and my shoulder and guided me to the outcropping of rocks. He handed me my dagger and backed away. "Symbol, stone, then roar," he said. "They will appear once you finish."

I nodded and closed my eyes before tapping into my power. I opened my eyes and felt the power shift as I, slowly, started to carve out the symbol, not surprised about the glowing rocks.

As soon as I finished carving the symbol into the rock's face, I stuck the stone into the middle of it. I watched as it started to glow when the Sun touched it and twisted around, relieved. I had done it correctly.

I shifted into my tiger form and roared, calling the clans together. I paused and flicked my ears.

Nothing.

Again, I roared, this time louder than the last. Power filled my roar as I called my brethren to me, praying that they were alive.

Again, there was nothing.

Taking a deep breath, I roared and lifted my head to the setting sun. Still, I called everyone together, not knowing if they would answer this call, unlike the others.

As soon as I finished the third time, a roar sounded through the forest that wasn't mine. Soon other roars joined in as my brethren appeared while I took my place next to my group, shifting into my human form.

It was time.