Chapter 19: Harry's Birthday

Updated: 23rd May, 2019
__________________________
Minerva reached into her closet for an old letter. She couldn't believe she was finally doing this. It seemed like only yesterday Harry was in pre school. She opened the letter which read:

Dear Mr. Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

She tucked the letter back into the envelope. Minerva had written the letter back when Harry first came into her care. She had awaited the day when she could give the letter to him and tomorrow was the day.

The only problem was that she had never seen accidental magic performed by Harry. She was quite worried since he should have done something. But she never tried to force it out of him, that was what Algie Longbottom tried to do and nearly dropp his nephew out a window.

*Page Break*

Harry woke up to the light coming from his curtains being weaved. He groaned and put his head back into the pillow. Minerva pulled the blanket off him.

"Good morning Harry," she said as she folded it up and put it at the foot of his bed, "up you get."

Harry pulled himself out of bed and to the bathroom, where he took a good amount of time. He came to the dinner table refreshed.

"Morning Minnie," he called out. He never found the need to call her mum and she never minded.

"Good morning Harry, she responded. She slid a plate of scrambled eggs towards him and kissed his forehead. He started devouring his eggs immediately.

"Happy birthday, Harry." she said.

"Thanks," he replied, "Minnie, can we go to a muggle zoo today? All my friends have gone to one. And its my birthday."

Minerva smiled, "Of course we can go. Finish your breakfast and get ready."

Harry gobbled up his eggs and dashed to his room. Minerva chuckled, she would never get tired of his antics. She pulled the envelope out of her pocket. She would give it to him after coming back from the zoo.

*Page Break*

Unbeknownst to Minerva, Harry was on edge the entire day. He had to get his letter today. He had imagined coming to the table and seeing the envelope there. He hid his sadness when it wasn't anywhere to be seen at the table.

Now Harry and Minerva was ready to go. They set off to Muggle London through apparition. They arrived at the large iron gate of the zoo. Minerva paid for the tickets and went inside.

Inside the zoo, Harry was in awe of all the exhibitions. He ran around excitedly, gaping at all the animals. Minerva bought him a nice chocolate cone as well. After looking at the mammals and marine animals, they went to the reptile house.

It was a massive room, filled with tanks containing all sorts of lizards and snakes. Harry seemed most interested in this area, taking his time observing each and every species. His attention was soon diverted to the tank containing the boa constrictor.

A large blond boy was banging at the glass separating him and the snake.

"Make it move!" he whined at his father, who had just joined him.

His whale of a father tapped on the glass a couple of times. When it didn't respond, he left. The boy continued to bang at the glass. Harry noticed the snake was trying to sleep, so he went towards them.