28

Kim

I got out of bed and turned the lights on in the room.

"Babe." I shook Dave. "Wake up. We have to go."

"Yo chill out." He pulled a pillow over his head.

"No!" I snatched the pillow and hit him with it. "Listen to me! We have to go! Your brother was shot!"

He opened his eyes and looked at me. "Don't play like that."

"I'm not playing." I shook my head as a tear fell. "Queen is on the phone now. He's at the hospital."

He laid there for a moment before he jumped up, searching for clothes.

"Fuck!" He pulled his jeans on. "Shit always happen when I'm not there. Who the fuck..."

He was pacing around the room. I could tell his mind was racing. He wasn't even making complete sentences.

"Somebody gotta die." He talked to himself as he stuffed his bag. "When I get back, everybody involved is dead." He zipped up his bag and packed mine. "You ready to go?" He looked at me.

"Yea." I got out of the bed and slipped my feet in my slides.

We were on the plane back to NY in less than two hours. Dave couldn't sit still. I continuously rubbed his leg the entire flight to keep him from shaking.

"I can't believe this happened. Especially when I'm not there." He looked out of the window as we landed.

"I'm sure he's going to be ok."

"I hope so." He sighed

Once we were able to get off the plane, Dave grabbed our bags and put them into the trunk of the car that was waiting for us. He started the car and drove directly to the hospital.

Upon parking in the hospital parking lot, Dave turned the car off and sat there, staring at nothing in particular. He ran his hands down his face before getting out.

We walked up to the hospital entrance and I linked my arm with his. I looked around the waiting area and his mom was sitting over in the corner with her head against the wall.

"Babe, your mom is over there." I tugged at his arm.

Without saying anything, he quickly dashed over to her. I decided to give them a little space so I kept my distance as he talked to her. Tears fell from her eyes as she wrapped her arms around Dave's neck.

He held her in a tight embrace as she cried and it broke my heart. I spotted Queen walking from the bathrooms and I gave her a slight smile. She walked over and laid her head on my shoulder.

"I'm scared." She spoke.

"Don't be. He's a fighter. He'll be ok." I comforted her.

"Family of Clarence White?" A doctor walked into the waiting area.

Everyone jumped up, waiting to see what the doctor would say.

"So good news, all of the bullets were able to be removed."

"Thank God." Queen quietly spoke

"But," he paused. "During surgery his body went into shock and as a result he is now in a coma."

Dave

"No! My baby!" My mom cried out. I held her up so she wouldn't hit the floor.

"As of right now, I can't say how long he will be unresponsive but I personally don't think it will be long term."

"Can we see him?" I asked

"Sure. Right this way." The doctor turned around and lead us to the hospital room.

He stood beside the door and gestured for us to go in. I took a deep breath and turned the knob.

Machines were beeping. Tubes and wires were everywhere. He had bandages wrapped everywhere. I hated seeing him like this. I walked over and grabbed his hand.

"I got you bro." I squeezed his hand. "Forever." A tear escaped from my eye.

I sat beside the bad and kept my eyes on him, wishing he would wake up.

Kim

I watched as Dave sat with his brother. It broke my heart to see him cry.

"Can you run to the house and get my computer and notebook? I'ma be here for a while." Dave looked over at me.

"Sure." I nodded.

"I'll go with you." Queen spoke

I grabbed the keys from Dave and walked out of the hospital with Queen. I sat in the Driver's seat and deeply sighed.

"This is fucked up."

"I know." She quietly spoke.

I finally started the car and pulled out of the parking lot. The entire ride was silent. The radio wasn't even playing.  We got to the apartment in 20 minutes. I decided not to pull into the parking deck and just park in a 30 minute parking space since I wouldn't be in there long. Queen was about to get out but I told her that she could sit in the car.

"You sure? I don't mind going with you."

"I'm sure." I nodded. "I'll be right back."

I quickly made my way upstairs to Dave's apartment. I grabbed his things and a blanket for me because hospitals are cold as hell and left out.

Stepping out of the elevator, I walked through the lobby and out the building.

"Wassup babygirl?" A guy stood in front of me.

"Um, excuse me." I attempted to walk around him but he blocked my path

"Woah. Where you going?"

I huffed. "Can you please move? I have somewhere to be."

"You East's girl right?" He reached out to touch my hair but I slapped his hand away. He laughed and nodded. "I got a message for him." He smiled. "You mind telling him for me?"

At that moment, it's as if everything was in slow motion. He pulled a gun from his waistband and pointed it at me. I could heard Queen's faint screams before ringing took over my ears. The gun was directly in front of my face. I closed my eyes tightly as he pulled the trigger.