34

Kim

I got out of bed for what seemed like the hundredth time. I slowly walked into the bathroom, taking a seat on the toilet.

I washed my hands once I was done and went back into my bedroom. I glanced at the clock and it was 7:22.

"I might as well stay up." I mumbled to myself

I was going to see Dave today. He didn't want me to but I am anyway. I fixed myself some breakfast and ate before I started to get ready.

Looking out the window of my bedroom, the weather was gloomy. Dark skies and the faint sound of thunder could be heard. I knew it was going to start raining at any moment.

After my shower, I put my hair in a bun and pulled on an oversized shirt and joggers.

Dave

I sat on the bed, staring at the wall. Not thinking of anything in particular. I'm just ready to get out of here. I've been to jail a couple times before so I'm definitely not scared and if this was about two years ago, I'd be fine but I have a family now and this ain't it.

"Wassup my boy." Deuce stood at the entrance of my cell

"Shit. Nothing man."

While I was talking to Deuce, an officer was down in the common area getting inmates ready for visitation.

"Alright. The last three I need are Davis, Rangel and Brewster!" The officer yelled.

"What?" I looked past Deuce and out the door. I stepped to the railing and looked down. "You called me?"

He looked at the paper. "Yea. Come on."

"I'll be back." I said to Deuce and jogged down the steps.

I know it's nobody but Kim. Even though I told her hardheaded ass not to come up here. We had to wait in a holding cell before going into the visitation room. I looked around and my eyes landed on Kim. Even though I didn't want her here, I had the biggest smile on my face.

"Hey" She looked up at me and smiled.

"Didn't I tell you not to come up here?" I laughed and sat in front of her.

"I know but I missed your face." She reached out and quickly ran her hand down the side of my face. "You ok?"

"Don't worry about me. Are you ok?"

She sighed. "Not really. I don't know what to do. You're in here. My due date is tomorrow. What if you get time?"

"I won't. I promise you that." I reached across the table and grabbed her hand. "Just keep her in there for two more days and we good." I joked

She laughed. "Yea, like I could actually do that."

"You good with money? You need anything?"

"I'm fine."

"You sure? You know if you need anything you can get it. That's why I gave you the code to the safe. You don't have to ask."

"I know." She nodded. "But I'm good."

Kim

I walked into the salon and went to my chair.

"If Dave knew you were still working he would burn this bitch down." Ari laughed

"That's why he's not going to find out." I dropped my bag. "Besides, it's only one."

"Mhmm." She looked over at me. "Just don't be on your feet for too long."

"I'm not. I'm just doing this one and that's it."

Me and Ari were the only ones in the shop right now. We were both waiting for clients.

"I think I'm pregnant." Ari blurted out

My eyes widened as I looked at her. "Forreal?"

She slowly nodded.

"My period is a week late and it's usually on time every month."

"Awww. Congratulations." I smiled

"Hold on bitch," she laughed. "I don't know for sure. I could just be stressed."

"From what?" I straightfaced her

"Shit ion know." She laughed loudly. "I have an appointment in a couple days. I'll find out then."

The salon door opened and we both looked in that direction but it was only Brittany. She greeted us as she walked to her chair and we spoke. I guess you can say we're on speaking terms now. She began setting up her station. I directed my attention back to Ari as I set up for my client.

"You look like you about to pop." Brittany spoke.

Out the corner of my eye, I could see her reaching for my stomach.

"Woah." I stepped back. "The hell is you doing?"

"I just wanted to touch your stomach. My bad."

"You ain't never done that before. We may have cordial conversations here and there now but don't touch me. I don't know what what kind of energy you carry and I don't need that getting transferred to my child."

"I said my bad." She went back to her chair.

"You wrong as hell." Ari pointed while laughing loudly

"What? I'm just saying." I shrugged.