15 Favoring Qie Over Wife (15)

When the Emperor approved Zhao Cheng's proposal, the nobles in the whole capital became enveloped in a dark and gloomy mood.

Only then, did Zhao Cheng's terrible expression slightly improved.

He and Bai Mei Lien tried a few times again, and this time, he lasted for at least two hours. Although he was feeling satisfied, Zhao Cheng thought that the whole thing had been a test to his will. A slight distraction that would make him think of the woman in the zhengfang and everything would be over. Thus, he did not get much pleasure from making love with Bai Mei Lien. Most nights, he would simply relieve his needs by himself.

Zhao Cheng finally recalled that Prime Minister Li told him to get a physician to check Li Jia's condition. He hadn't seen her for almost half a month, so he accompanied the physician to the zhengfang.

"Look at you being so worried about your wife," teased Physician Wen Heng Zhi. He was a young man dressed in light green robes, with the slender build of Confucian scholars. "For so long, your inner yard had been empty and one would think that you wouldn't get married. Yet, in the blink of an eye, you have a beautiful wife and a concubine. Consort Mei wouldn't have to worry about you engaging in the romance of cut sleeves [1] anymore and sleep with a peaceful mind."

"As if you have the right to talk," Zhao Cheng snorted. "You don't even have a wife."

The two men were close friends who had studied and trained martial arts together. There were no traces of awkward courtesy when they spoke that hinted of the difference in their status.

"Speaking of which, how is your wife taking in the news of your childhood sweetheart becoming your concubine? I expect that she wasn't too happy about it."

At Wen Heng Zhi's words, Zhao Cheng remembered how unbothered his wang fei was when he told her. His heart feeling a little sour, he said, "Actually, she took it rather well."

Wen Heng Zhi raised an eyebrow. He had heard how infatuated the eldest miss of Prime Minister Li's residence was towards his friend. Could it possibly be...

"'Lovely face is far from old when favor is withdrawn. Reclining in a gilded cage and waiting for the dawn.'" [2]

It was a man's good fortune to marry a virtuous wife. But if a woman was too virtuous that she could accept her husband descending rain and dew on the flowers in his inner yard, that could only mean one thing—she didn't have him in her heart.

"Don't speak nonsense." Zhao Cheng's voice was laced with slight anger.

"Oh?" Wen Heng Zhi was too familiar with this man's personality and continued speaking his mind, "I think you're favoring Bai Mei Lien a little too much. No matter how much you love her, she is still just a mere concubine. You can't be too biased. If you damage your relationship with Prime Minister Li because of this, then..."

Zhao Cheng cut him off. "Don't worry, I know my limits."

When the two men arrived at the courtyard, they only saw the lower-ranked yahuan doing their duties as usual, with no sign of either its mistress or her first-ranked maidservants. Zhao Cheng's personal eunuch asked around and went back to them, saying, "Wang fei had gone into the rear courtyard."

Wen Heng Zhi smiled, his eyes containing a trace of laughter, "Brother Cheng, your wife seems to be living well without you."

Zhao Cheng paid him no heed, hurrying out of the zhengfang and into the disanjinyuan [3].

Subconsciously, a bud of anticipation was starting to grow inside his heart. Was she starting to miss him? He had been too busy these days with matters of the court and proving his masculinity to Bai Mei Lien, wanting to dispel rumors that he was a man who 'finishes early'. Because of all these kinds of circumstances, despite her face that was constantly popping in his mind, he hadn't personally seen the woman herself.

There were several peach trees lined up on a row in the rear courtyard, almost like fluffy cotton candies dyed in pink. It was nearly the end of spring, and all the trees were alive with hues and tints that could only be found on an artist's palette. Even the servant girls changed their drab clothing into lively yellow dresses.

Not to mention, the seventh day of the seventh month was also coming, when the cowherd and the weaver girl were allowed their annual meeting. The Qixi or Qi Qiao festival was very important to women, which could be seen in their eyes that shone brighter than usual. Pink hearts and ambiguous gazes were thrown everywhere, making even Zhao Cheng feel uncomfortable.

Despite having a childhood sweetheart, he never really engaged in a romantic courtship between a man and a woman. He was too busy for those kind of things.

Strolling with Wen Heng Zhi along the sun-dappled lane of the rear courtyard, Zhao Cheng caught sight of two maidservants standing below a peach tree. A sudden shower of peach blossoms floated downwards, which piqued his interest to see what the two of them were looking at.

A moment later, Zhao Cheng's expression immediately changed.

[1] Love between two men.
[2] A poem by Tang poet Bai Yuji
[3] Another name for the rear or third courtyard.