17 | Birthday Bash

1 7
Birthday Bash

I can finally say that I'm starting to feel like I fit in at Arlin Preparatory High School. It's been almost two months since Noah and I started here, and it certainly hasn't been easy, but I'm finally feeling like I belong.

Well, kind of belong.

Sitting with Jalen and his group at lunch has definitely caused more heads to turn my way and more gossip to spread, but it's also given me a place. I felt bad when Daniel and Rachel asked where I had been sitting after a while, but Daniel seemed to understand that sitting at a table with fewer people was more my speed than sitting with him and the entire football team.

Rachel was just excited whenever I mentioned Jalen's name, but she quickly calmed herself and said it was because she's just so happy for me.

Noah, on the other hand, is very unhappy for me. He's made it clear that he hates Jalen. I'm sure I've made it clear to him that I don't care, though.

Jalen and I partner up all the time in health now. I hate admitting how happy I feel knowing he's actually showing up to the class. He still won't say much about his dyslexia, only letting me know he confuses letters and the words become jumbled up in his mind, but it's enough for me to know how to handle school work with him.

We take our time reading through sections. It's mostly me doing the reading though, as Jalen quickly gives up and I don't have the patience to convince him to keep trying and then wait for him to actually be able to read it—we were still getting to know each other, I can't pretend to be somebody with patience forever. That's just false advertising.

But Jalen seems to understand that I'm trying, and so far, that's been enough. For us both.

I can tell he's trying to answer some of my questions, going as far as to explain something before I even ask. Just the other day we were in the halls when Cortney and a few of her cheerleaders passed by. One of them told Jalen they'd see him tonight, and before I could even get the words out, Jalen said, David and I go to as many games as we can to support Danny.

He didn't need to explain, it's not my business what or who he does in his free time. But he did, without me even having to ask.

I'd be lying if I said the crush I have on him didn't grow after that.

It feels like it's growing more and more everyday, and it feels exciting and dangerous. But that's exactly what being around Jalen is like.

The bell for first period rings, making me swear under my breath that I missed homeroom again. Noah drives us to school everyday, and every damn day we're late. He speeds like a maniac another other time, but when trying to get us to school, the boy drives like an old man.

I'm either gonna have to fight him for the keys, or start taking the bus again. I can't keep having the school call Mom and have her yell at me for being late.

Just as I'm slamming my locker shut and taking off, I feel someone grab my arm from behind. Naturally, my fight-or-flight instincts kick in, and I'm ready to fuck up whoever just touched me.

My fist freezes mid-air when I turn and see Jalen.

"Easy there, Mayweather. I was just trying to get your attention, since calling your name twice didn't work."