twenty five

milan, italy

——————

After a stressful few days of finals and the drama that came before, I was glad that I'd decided to come to Milan. I needed this much needed vacation even if I was here to support Chase.

Although Jace and I were in a better place, he still elected not to come. We were still trying to figure this relationship thing out. We had so much to work on.

This was probably for the best. The timing was off.

My car stopped and I looked out of the window to see our beautiful hotel which we'd be staying in. Of course paparazzi was heavy.

I put on my shades and allowed my body guard to open the door. When I stepped out, I inhaled the air before DJ nudged me to go inside.

DJ was so paranoid about being out of the country with us. Security was always heavy. He didn't want anything to go wrong.

   But it was better to be safe than sorry.

Nia! Over here!

Nia!

   DJ hovered over me protectively until I was safely inside.

I'd made it a little later than the rest of my family. My mom wanted to have lunch with me, however. Alone. I knew something was on her mind and I knew it had something to do with last week.

    I knocked on the door to her room when we made it on the floor. She answered the door, stepping to the side to let me in. We both thanked DJ before she closed the door and looked at me.

"How was your flight?" She asked, pulling me into a hug.

    "It was fine." I answered when we pulled away.

"Good." She smiled at me and prompted me to follow her to the balcony. It was a nice little set up awaiting us and we were having pasta for lunch, of course.

   I had no issues with that. I loved Italian food.

"Where's everyone else?"

    "The pool. They ate already." She said.

I nodded as we both took a seat across from one another. I used some germ-x to wash my hands before I began eating.

    "You look better this week than last week." She continued.

I grabbed my glass of water and took a sip. "I feel better."

   "I'm happy to hear that. I was so scared when you weren't answering my calls. Then, Jace told me he hadn't heard from you. I'm sorry if I was overwhelming."

I shook my head. "Don't apologize, Mom. I have history of depression and suicide ideation. You were just being cautious."

    My mom reached across the table and grabbed my hands. "I feel that it's something more. My spirit won't rest, Nia. I'm trying not to stress for my own health, but I can't not worry about my kids."

"I don't need you to worry about me. That causes me to worry about you. You had a heart attack, Mom. Just relax."

    "Is therapy working?" She asked, ignoring what I'd just said.

"Time." I squeezed her hand. "That's what I need. Time."

    She let go of my hands and sat back in her seat. I decided to taste the pasta before it got cold. "Can I ask you something else?" I motioned my hands for her to continue as I chewed my food. "Why didn't Jace come?"