Chapter Four

Chemistry wasn't a class Ryuji necessarily liked. Blowing things up was fun but other than that, he hated the class.

    'Maybe we'll get lucky and Mr. Toranosuke will let us relax.'

    Ryuji sat back in his seat and watched as everyone else came into class. There was that trust-fund bastard Goro Akechi, then that sweet Okumura girl Makoto was dating, and that one girl that was in the same art class as Ren, Hifumi was her name? Ryuji didn't care that much.

    "Good evening everyone." Yoshida Toranosuke came into the class and everyone silenced. "I hope you're all excited for the experiment today! While we get the tools set out, everyone go get your gloves and goggles."

    Ryuji rolled his eyes and got up to get his goggles. Hopefully class would be done quickly.

————

    Something Ren hated about himself was his emotions, or more his lack of emotions. Around Yusuke or Yuuki, Ren felt a sense of peace. With Hifumi, Goro, and Kasumi, he felt annoyed. But for the most part, Ren didn't feel or react to anything.

    But with Ryuji... Ren felt even more. He felt alive. He's never had a friend like the blond boy that made him feel so much. 

    "Agghh..."

    Ren groaned to himself as he walked down the hall to the dorm bathrooms.

    "You're both friends. That's all. He probably won't even remember your friendship after graduation—"

    "HI REN!"

    "AIIIEEEEE!"

    Ren screeched like a girl and dropped his shower supplies. Kasumi stood there with that big smile that looked fake, but apparently wasn't.

    "Don't sneak up on me like that!" Ren scolded as he got down to pick up his stuff. "You're not even supposed to be here, this is the boy's dorms!"

    "So what? I wanted to come talk with you about something!"

    "I'm on my way to the showers,"

    "And?"

    "... I don't want you seeing me naked!"

    "You'll be behind the curtain!" Kasumi grinned.

    Ren pinched the bridge of his nose. With how much this girl talked he wouldn't have enough time to shower before Ryuji finished class. It was almost tempting to just get the shower over and done with. And yet... Kasumi wouldn't be afraid to suddenly rip the curtain open without warning.

    "Fine, what is it?" Ren sighed.

    "I heard you and Ryuji are going on a double date to the baseball game!"

    "How the fuck did you hear about that?"

    "It's not important how I heard!" Kasumi waved a hand. "What is important is the fact I know you don't have a girl to go with!"

    "I'm stopping you now, fuck no."

    "Oh yes, I'll happily be your fake girlfriend!"

    "What do you even gain from that?"

    "Making my beloved Goro jealous, of course! If he sees me on the arm of a plain average boy like you, he'll get so steamed! I bet he'd tell you off before dragging me away kicking and screaming!"

    Ren's brow furrowed. He wasn't gonna bother saying anything about the girl's stupid plan.

    "If I agree will you leave me alone?" he asked.

    "Yup! Well, I gotta be somewhere now! Pick me up an hour before the game, buy me flowers, and look sharp! See you then!"

    Kasumi skipped down the hall while humming to herself. Ren rolled his eyes and continued to the showers but right before he went inside, he heard something.

    "Was that... an explosion?"

————

    Ryuji only heard the blast and a girl's scream. He didn't look back to see the damage, he just ran out before the chemical cloud formed.

    "FUCK! OH MY GOD!!"

    Through the crowd of terrified students running out of the class, Ryuji spotted Akechi hurrying to the chemical shower. Haru was too. Ryuji couldn't tell, but it looked like something red was on their skin.

    At this point faculty members were running to get everyone else in the class out and other students were trying to see what was happening. For a second, Ryuji saw Hifumi fall out of the room screaming with something red all over her chest and neck.

    "Oh no... fuck no!"

    Out of panic, Ryuji turned and started running back to the dorms, breathing heavily. He was so shocked and terrified by the sudden events, he didn't even realize someone was calling his name when he got inside.

    "Ryuji! Ryuji!"

    Ren stopped his friend by grabbing his arm and tugging him. The blond looked back at him with fear in his eyes, his breathing slowed when he saw the noiret's concerned face..

    "Ryuji what happened? What was that loud noise?" Ren urged.

    "There was... there was an accident in the Chemistry lab..." Ryuji explained.

    "Holy shit, are you ok? Did you get hurt?"

    "I'm fine, I'm fine! I just... I need a minute..."

    "Ok... let's go back to the dorm then. Do you still want to go to the laundromat?" Ren asked as they started walking.

    "Yeah, that's fine..."

    "Seriously, you swear you're alright?"

    Ryuji took a few more shaky breaths and nodded with his classic grin, failing to notice the small red drop on his left hand.

    "Don't worry... I'll be ok."