Part 66

"Aho, where are we going? Did you not mention earlier that I may be unwell?" Surangi asked. Surely it did not look like Dinkar was dropping them home, rather they seemed to be driving towards Dinkar and Rohini's home.

Dinkar winked at Madhav who was sitting next to him.

"Mrs Oak, you trust neither your doctor nor your husband! True, we are not heading home, but this alternative therapy is meant to make you feel better!" Madhav loosened his tie. It was too hot a day to be formally dressed.

"Vahini, Madhav wanted it to be a surprise but I am going to announce it anyway. We are going on a double date, a romantic dinner and dance at the Taj Mahal! Let me get Rohini downstairs while you two wait in the car. " Dinu let the cat out of the bag before heading upstairs.

"Bhaoji and you had this planned? But did we not dine at the Taj Mahal just the other day?" Surangi sank into the car seat comfortably. Although she was voicing her doubt she was happy, any reason to spend quality time with Madhav was welcome.

"No, this is completely unplanned! Yes, we dined there recently but this time we will not be in the company of strangers! We are celebrating Dinu's and Rohini's impending parenthood, and also we want your farewell treat to be special!" Madhav could see her reaction through the mirror. Obviously she was pleased!

"Aho, we have come a long way, have we not? It seems like just yesterday that I would follow you everywhere back in our village, tripping over my long skirt while trying to match your pace!" Surangi smiled.

"For me you shall always be the little girl who would rush into my arms whenever you missed your parents too much!" Madhav could never forget her kohl-smudged eyes when he made her cry for the first time after they were married. The guilt had made him uneasy for days afterwards.

"Here they are!" Surangi and Madhav exchanged pleasantries with Rohini, taking care to avoid mentioning the pregnancy overtly. Some folks were superstitious about such things.

Both the women chatted cheerfully in the back of the car. Surangi felt completely at ease as there was nothing to be anxious about, Madhav had been joking about her being unwell. Now she was looking forward to enjoying her evening just like the European and Parsi women did when they went to the club with their spouses. She wondered what Madhav's grandmother would have to see about their nascent liberal lifestyle.

"Surangi, you are so lucky to have such a romantic husband!" Rohini remarked. Dinkar had just finished telling her about Surangi's visit to Madhav's office.

" Come on, Rohini! You two had a love marriage, unlike us! Bhaoji is more romantic!" Surangi laughed.

" Did you know that your Bhaoji finds birds more engaging than his wife? Just the other day he told me that a certain feathered species was far more graceful than us women!" Rohini quickly checked her reflection in the mirror.

"All I said was that the bird called jacana treads over water lily pads as lightly as no woman can ever imagine. And that upset her!" Dinkar smirked.

" So, birds are more interesting than women?" Rohini persisted.

"Actually among birds the male is often more attractive. The peahen does not share the brilliant plumage of her mate. And the male koel's singing is celebrated by Indian ports. So Rohini, you need not fret. Dinkar loves you beyond the birds!" Madhav tried to make peace.

"And the bees! Your ladyship, I am your loyal mate who had made and feathered our nest exclusively for you! There is no room for anybody else, other than our little fledglings! I am a monogamous specimen!" Dinu's mischievous grin was not visible to Rohini. Annoying his wife was a great deal of fun.

Surangi smiled to herself. She recalled how, when they were much younger, Dinu had pretended to show Rohini an ordinary chicken as a rare bird. Dinu's interest in avian fauna notwithstanding, his marriage to Rohini, who was usually the object of his pranks, had taken everyone by surprise. Nobody had imagined that a city bred boy like him would take the flirtatious village belle seriously enough to marry her. Dinkar was indeed an enigma, at least Surangi found it difficult to fathom the depth of his mind. The only thing she knew with conviction was that Dinu and Rohini were a devoted couple who were looking forward to welcoming their baby into their own little world.

It was not easy for the two young couples to blend in with the other guests, who were mainly Europeans and rich Indian businessmen. The ease and confidence they exuded as they were shown to their table with a harbour view was uncharacteristic.

Both the husbands waited until their wives were seated before taking their own places at the table. The headwaiter lit the candles in the centre of the table and asked if they were ready to order their drinks.

"Should we order some champagne?" Madhav consulted the wine menu. It was a European practice to raise a toast with champagne.

"No, we should avoid alcohol and have some fruit juice as an aperitif instead!" Surangi was quick to point out. Rohini was pregnant, it was unfair to order wine when she was meant to avoid it.

"Don't worry about me, you people should go ahead!" Rohini suggested.

Surangi was firm about avoiding liquor, so they ordered a pitcher of a non-alcoholic punch instead. They drank to a safe and uneventful pregnancy for Rohini and to the success of Surangi's sojourn abroad.

They had asparagus with vinaigrette and melon cocktail as appetisers and a rather light selection of mushroom risotto and vegetable au gratin for main course. They left the choice of dessert to Rohini an she called for chocolate eclairs with French vanilla ice cream.

The band of African American origin played vibrant jazz music and both the men led their wives to the dance floor. Rohini and Dinkar were careful to avoid dancing vigorously, and after a while Dinu led her back to her seat. On the other hand, sensing the mood of the young couples on the dance floor the band softened the tempo to a slow, romantic one.

"Aaji would throw a fit if she saw us dancing like this!" Surangi whispered into Madhav's ear.

"Hey, we are married, are we not? But you are right, Aaji will make us do penance for following the white man's lifestyle!" Madhav laughed. Ever since her brother moved to England permanently his grandmother had become overprotective about their native culture.

Throwing caution to the wind Surangi snuggled closer to Madhav. The other dancers looked at them occasionally but she hardly cared. The thought of being away from her husband haunted her and Madhav sensed her feelings instinctively.

"You will only be gone for a few months, and I shall be right here waiting. Just be sure to send a letter whenever you can!" Madhav's voice was soft as silk cotton.

"Are you ready to leave?" Dinkar asked. Rohini was not used to staying up late. And in her condition she needed the rest.

They came downstairs to the lobby where the uniformed doorman swung the door for them. Dinu led them to his parked car.

"Dinkar, Rohini, you two carry on home. Surangi and I want to take a Victoria ride home!" Madhav held Surangi's hand as he spoke.

"Maybe you two should stay the night in the hotel!" Dinu could see intimacy building between them.

"No, I'd much rather take the Victoria ride!" Surangi found the open horse drawn carriage rather inviting. They could trot in the moonlight along the embankment slowly, there was no need to rush home.

They waved goodbye to Dinkar and Rohini. Madhav engaged the service of a lone carriage driver and helped Surangi into the passenger seat, reminding the driver to go at a leisurely pace.

Surangi drew close to Madhav and soon they could feel each other's breath. Madhav longed to embrace and kiss her but they were in a public place, and it was not the age for public displays of affection among the Indians.

"I don't want this night to end!" Surangi laid her head on Madhav's shoulder.

"The best part of going away is to be able to look forward to the place and people you truly care about!" Madhav wondered how much would change in the forthcoming months. Not that they had never seen separation, but it was all about the timing. Their unconsummated relationship would remain in limbo while each carried on with their respective lives on two different continents.