From the Dining Table - 16.1

Jace's POV

After the last 24 hours, I was barely in the headspace to meet with the rebellion. That kiss that Annabelle and I shared, and every kiss after, was all I could wrap my head around. My little kitten had managed to get into my head, she had managed to sneak past all my defences and leak into every part of my heart. Before, I would have believed that she was a disease, but now I know she is exactly what I needed. Maybe, exactly what the world needed, seeing as how I am walking into this meeting.

I shared one last longing glance with Annabelle as Flynn and I followed Franklin and Elizabeth into the room they had set up for the meeting. It was a large space, with a round table. No head of the table created that way by design, not a coincidence. Elizabeth had explained that any other meeting space could create a sense of hierarchy, which is something that we are trying to avoid. At this table, we would have different creatures of all different genders and backgrounds, sharing the space and ideas. Ideas on how to create a new governing system, and ways on how to overthrow the old one.

Flynn and I did not sit next to each other. We were seated with two chairs in-between us. Elizabeth had placed nametags at each spot. To my right would be Annabelle, and next to her would be Rose, when they were finished with their lunch. Next to Rose was where Flynn was seated.

One by one, people came through the doorway taking their seats. I could feel my body tensing when the man who sat next to me was human. I understood that this human seated beside me was by design as well. He was old for a human. His face was wrinkled and tired and his hair was lacking and gray. He looked like he had been fighting his entire life, which he most likely had. He was vulnerable. By sitting him next to me, like an equal, it would show the others that I am on their side. Elizabeth is the most tactical person I had met, and she kept surprising me at each turn. She could win this yet.

I turned to the man, and from across the table, I could feel a man and woman, witches, tense. The old man was staring at me, his eyes almost daring me to strike. The frown on his face seemed permanent. I did not think I could change that, however, there was a part of me that wanted to try. I wanted these people to like and trust me. I wanted to be a part of this. Not just for Annabelle, and for those like her, but for myself. I wanted to prove to myself, that I could be better.

My face unchanging, seeing how this old man would react, I stuck out my hand. "Hello sir, it is nice to meet you." The man took a few seconds, staring at my hand, and then back at my face before his lips upturned into a smirk.

He took my hand, his grip stronger than I would've imagined, "It's about time one of these bloodsuckers showed me some damn respect."

Flynn laughed openly, while I just grimaced, letting the man remove his hand from mine. Despite the man calling me names, our interaction seemed to calm the hum of nervousness around the table, and I could hear a few of the others chuckle. Good.

A few minutes passed and the last few stragglers entered the room, except for Annabelle and Rose, and took their seats. At this time Elizabeth cleared her throat and the soft chatter that had been taking place, quieted down. It was obvious that everyone around this table respected her. Including me.

"Hello and welcome. Thank you for joining us on this historic day. Today is the day that we hold the first true meeting of the rebellion"

Flynn coughed. He hated these parts of speeches. He has always said they are unnecessary and made for people who have too much time on their hands, however, I disagree. Speeches work, no matter if they are used for good or bad.

"Today we discuss what the future will hold."

"Burn them!" Screamed a rough looking werewolf. Not meaning to, I caught his eye. This is a man who had known immense pain. Even though I should feel angry, I just felt sorrow for this man.