Thirty Four

Skylar's POV

I spent the next few hours wandering around the abandoned house. I even made sure to walk to every single corner, admiring the old fashioned architecture and the antique tapestries. It was beautiful in a way. I didn't really see Caden around though, except when I somehow found my way back in the lounge once again. After that, I spent my time upstairs.

The corridor upstairs was a bit more creepy, with cobwebs strewn across the ceiling, gold-carved lamps on the walls, and every door that I opened upstairs turned out to be a room with a perfectly made bed. Everything was so clean.

Unlike my own room.

The sky had gone dark outside by the time I reached the attic. It seemed to be the only small room in this house, and very dusty. I had to look around the compact room for a few seconds to make sure there weren't any bats or wild rats in here (I genuinely hoped not), or else Caden might have to drag me out of here when I pass out.

When I saw a long, brown chest placed in the farthest corner of the room though, I got a bit too excited. I didn't have to switch on any lights to make my way inside since the skylight was enough to spread a spooky glow all around.

I stepped towards the chest and cautiously sat down, crossing my legs. Once I had opened it up and had gotten indulged with the things inside, I noticed that it was mostly filled up with worn-out letters, old feather pens, and a huge dried up inkpot.

Had I gone back in time?

Or maybe this person, whoever this stuff belonged to, was just obsessed with old things. However, I found out I was wrong when I actually read one of those letters. It was dated back to the early '20s.

Is it always so heartrending to catch feelings?

I frowned a little at those words, at the cursive handwriting. The paper felt as light as a feather in my hands, too worn out and old. I kept on reading the rest of it then, picking up the other letters and reading them too. They definitely sounded like love letters from some guy to his lover.

How cute.

I rummaged under the pile of letters to find a deep blue silk cloth. It felt extremely soft against my fingertips and unlike the surroundings, it smelled like roses. Creepy, I know. What if this guy had died without confessing his love?

Or not. I guess I watched way too many movies for my own good.

"What are you doing?" I jerked upright when I heard a voice right behind me. But when I saw Caden standing near the doorway, his gaze darting from me to the stuff around me, I calmed down a bit.

"I'm reading..." I stopped, thinking for the right words. "The lovesick tales of the ancient boy."

Caden scrunched up his nose in distaste. "I don't even want to know why you used those words."

I smiled and looked back at the cloth in my hand. Folding it up, I placed it back at the bottom of the chest.

"The car's here." He added.

I hummed softly in response and my eyes flew towards the bottom of the chest, at the delicate silver chain. Picking it up, I saw that it had a silver band of ring hanging from the chain, with a name engraved on it.