Chapter 18

New York was all and all bright after the warm sun that spread its light all over the city. Weekend that came with such a beautiful weather was enough to get all the people out and about living the warmth of the sun.

It was the same bright light that was making its way inside the room through the side of the window. More like rays of hope that were shining on the little world of the two people. Rudaba stirred in her sleep with the light that was getting its strength. Opening her eyes, she found herself in a position she had least expected herself in. She had woken up with her head resting on Zain's chest and with her hand held in his. No matter how unexpected this position was to her, it brought a smile on her face. If all night was not enough of Zain staring at her face while she slept, it was now Rudaba's turn to do the same. She kept on looking at him who was still asleep, and this just deepened the grin on her face.

It was only after a few minutes when Zain opened her eyes and Rudaba looked away in nervousness. But the embarrassment fell on him too as soon as he realised that he was still holding on to her hand. Pulling his away, he stood up and looked here and there so he doesn't have to make eye contact with her. Rudaba couldn't stop but smile at his nervous self when just last night, he was all so confident with taking her on dinner. Zain finally looked towards her and raised his eye brow seeing her smile.

"Kia hua hai?"

"Kuch bhi nahi hua. Kia hona hai?"

Rudaba cleared her throat and responded.

"Toh aise muskura kyun rahi hu... deikho agar tumhe mera tumhare sath sona acha nai laga toh I..."

"Meine aisa kab kaha hai. Mein toh deikh rai hun tum kitne cute hu. Sab kuch theek karke bhi tumhe sharmindagi horai hoti hai. Aisi sadgi deikh ke muskara rahi thi mein."

"Listen, you were holding on to my hand, so I couldn't leave. So, its on you before me. Ha!"

Rudaba looked away and chuckled and Zain's lips curled into a smile seeing her all shy suddenly.

"Acha, aj breakfast meri zimadari hai. I will prepare it."

"Sure thing."

--------------

Time was flying considering how the two had adjusted with their lives together. Rudaba was sorting out all her things because she wanted to shift them to Zain's room. She had spoken to him earlier and he had agreed too. She was wandering between the two rooms to shift all her things when she had come across a photo frame. It was a photo of her and Shahroze from their student days. Rudaba took it out and held it in her hand and stared at it. She sat on the bed and held it almost as if she was going to have a conversation with him. Tears made their way to her eyes, but they weren't made of sadness but happiness.

"Tumne kaha tha na ke jab mein dil se khush hui tu tumhe pata chal jaega. Toh deikho, aj mein sach mein dil se khush hun. Zain ne apni ek khaas jagah bana li hai mere dil mein. Ju jagah ab buhat tezi se meri aadat ban rahi hai. Mujhe laga tha ke mein dubara pyaar nahi kar paoungi, mujhe laga tha mere liye tumhe bhoolana namumkin hojaega. Aur shaed yeh sach hai ke kahin na kahin tum mere dil mein aj bhi ho, lekin ek achi yaad key tor per ho. Woh yaad ju mujhe achay dinon ki yaad dilati hai. Lekin, mujhe ab woh mehsoos horaha hai ju pehle nahi hua tha, Shahroze. Mujhe Zain se muhabbat horai hai. Us key sath waqt guzarna, uskey sath hansna, batein karna: yeh sab mujhe buhat khushi deta hai.

I wish you were here to see me happy, I wish you were here... I miss you Shahroze."

She didn't realise the heavy tears she had let loose as she said all this. As she confessed the biggest truth of her life. But, fate was still not on her side. Maybe, things were still not resolving.