twenty six

milan, italy

—————

After Chase's first runway show, we went out for a family dinner. We were all talking, some of us having our own conversations then blending back in with the rest of the table.

I missed this. It was a level of comfort with my family that I'd lost. But, having this time with them was slowly bringing it back.

For once, I could be NiNi.

Papa always sat at the head of table and told stories that we'd heard a million times. I never got tired of hearing them, though. Most of them were about his childhood or he was telling my siblings about how he and our Mom met.

He didn't sugarcoat anything either. He told them the truth about how he was.

"Daddy, is Gramma Senaya coming? We haven't seen her in a long time." Jamila spoke up. "I miss her." She frowned. "I mean we talk on the phone, but I miss her presence."

Papa nodded his head. "She'll be here later this week."

"Pops coming too?" Chase asked.

"You know he don't like your grandma to travel by herself."

"I just asked. He getting old." Chase snorted.

"Ooh, I'm snitching." Saint shook his head.

Chase mugged him. "You always snitching. Find a hobby."

Mom looked at him and shook her head. "You are your father's child."

"What that mean?"

She used her napkin to wipe her mouth. "You're dramatic and go to the extreme."

"That's true." Jamila agreed.

"Nia." Papa called my name and I looked over at him. "Are you ready for track season? How's that achilles?"

"I'm ready." I nodded. "I'm as healthy as I've ever been. I feel good. I'm moving well. I'm faster and stronger than ever before."

"I guess the new trainer is paying off." Mom added.

"Yea, he's different. It's a difference when they care about you as a person, as a human being. And not just their moneymaker."

"I heard Mariyah was going pro." Chase chimed in.

I looked at him. "She is."

"Why haven't you gone pro yet?" Jamila asked.

I shook my head. "I have some unfinished business on the collegiate level. I went to Stanford to run so I'm going to at least do a year or two."

"Well, you're still the fastest woman in the world and in history. No one has broken your records."

I cleared my throat and nodded slightly. "Yeah, I'm going to break them though."

Nothing else was said after that. They knew I was serious and had my mind set on doing just that.

I missed running. That was also part of the reason why I'd gotten depression. I was hurt, could barely walk and on top of that, dealing with my heartbreak.

It was like a collision course.

A year and a half later, I was just ready to get back on the track. I had to remind people just who Nia Cartier was because they'd forgotten.

One of the servers asked Mom and Papa something, they both looked at each other and eventually nodded their heads. A few seconds later, Uncle Amir appeared in the room.