The Hospital

Sarah's POV

I walked into the emergency room, a small crowd given its nearing 4 am. I walked up to the nurse's desk and a woman looked up at me with a calm smile.

"Looks like you've had a rough night? How can I help you, darling?" Her sweet southern draw made me feel better.

"Yeah, my husband is in the car with our two-year-old, she's had a persistent fever.  Last time I checked, about an hour ago, it was 102. She's has a runny nose and a really bad cough to where she's been throwing up everything. She has been crying all the time. This is our first kid."

Looking back on this night, thank god for this quick-thinking nurse who knows what would have happened if she didn't think fast on her feet.

"Well bring her in and I'll get her a room. It's fairly empty here." She spoke softly, I could hear a little bit of worry. I nodded and the nurse went to get us a room. I walked out to the car and explained to Brendon and Zack. Brendon got out and took Tatum out in her car seat and carried it in. Brendon followed and Zack went to the park. As we walked in the nurse was standing there waiting for us, she smiled a sweet smile.

"And right this way." She led. After we got into a room she quickly got Tatum out of her car seat and did something unusual. She put on gloves and pulled down Tat's lower lip, revealing faint bluish-white dots.

"Ah, I'll be right back with a doctor." She spoke swiftly and place a still sleeping Tatum onto the hospital bed.

"What do bumps on her inner lip mean?" I asked aloud, looking at Brendon.

"How long have those been there?" He asked back, both of us stood there dumbfounded.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Jacks, it's good to meet you. What brings you here tonight?" He asks, extending his hand to Brendon. Brendon shook his hand then the doctor shook mine.

"I'm Sarah, that's Brendon and this is Tatum," I pointed as I named them. "So three days ago she developed a really dry cough, she started vomiting, and she's had a chronic fever. She's been crying constantly, throwing up water and food. About an hour ago I checked her temperature and it was 102. She's two, it's just getting worse." I explained the doctor nodded along and then did the same thing that the nurse did. He looked at her lower lip and the same spots were still there.

"Has she had her MMR shot?" He asked,

"Yes, she had it about 10 months ago," I answered, he continued to nod.

"Okay I want to run blood work but I think she has measles. It is uncommon to get it well already having the vaccine but it could happen." The doctor spoke, measles?

"So what do we do?" Brendon asked.

"There is no treatment, we can give her medication for the fever. But she will have to go through it. With you saying symptoms started three days ago within the next two days her fever may spike higher and the spots in her mouth will most likely spread throughout her body. We want to have her admitted." Brendon ran his hand through his hair. I tried to take a deep breath.

"Aren't high fevers bad for little kids? What could happen if it goes higher?" I asked Dr. Jacks sighed.

"Yes there are, she is very young and that worries me. She could have seizures, blindness, or organ failure. But we try our hardest to prevent her fever from going higher." That hit me hard, I truly didn't know what to say.

"We are going to give her an IV, to help with the dehydration. Some anti-nausea medication, and some medications for the fever. Ruth, will you bring then the admission paperwork?" He asked, the nurse now know as Ruth, nodded then they both excused themselves. When they left I burst into tears, measles? Does that kill kids?

"Hey hey, she's okay. We are gonna be okay." Brendon cooed hugging me. I tried to stop crying, but the idea of losing my baby. We never wanted kids, but then it happened and I can't think of a world without her. Living without Tatum.

"You should go find Zack he's probably worried. I'll lay with Tat." I spoke wiping my eyes and taking a deep breath. Brendon nodded and kissed me then walked out of the room. I then climbed into the hospital bed and put Tatum on my chest.

"I know I said I never wanted kids but the second I found out I was pregnant. I couldn't think of a world where you weren't here, you know that? When I heard your heartbeat, god it blew me away. Your dad, he cried his eyes out. I couldn't stop smiling. I'm so thankful to be your mom, you know that. Right? When I married your dad, I thought I could never love someone more. But you proved me wrong. I can't imagine loving something more than I love you. I will love you every day, I'll love you always. We both will." I felt tears run down my face, I found myself focusing on Tatum's breathing well I waited for the nurse to come back in.